downgrading MESA 21 with Pacman commands

Questions about Wine on Linux
mlytle0
Level 2
Level 2

downgrading MESA 21 with Pacman commands

Post by mlytle0 »

Since the MESA 21.00 install, a Windows application I had working just fine stopped working under Wine. On a board I saw this comment:

"Going back to
$ pacman -Q | grep mesa
mesa 20.3.4-3

solved the issue."

Anyone here tried this? Is this recommended, or can this get someone over there head?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: downgrading MESA 21 with Pacman commands

Post by spoon0042 »

Reverting to an older version shouldn't cause any issues, unless something else specifically depends on mesa 21 which is unlikely.

That said 'pacman -Q' only queries the status of packages, you'd need some other command to actually reinstall 20. I think anyway, I don't know arch really.

Good news though is if it's the issue I think it is there's a workaround without having to downgrade, see here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34889#p132311
mlytle0
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mlytle0 »

I saw that too, and tried the temporary fix of just typing 'export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5' from the terminal as suggested in the post.. Made no difference, so I had no confidence that this is the universal fix.

For what it's worth the Mesa developer assigned to this bug has been getting helpful feedback, but it just seems like he's siting on it. He doesn't seem to respond to suggestions.

Maybe MESA could assign someone that cares.

I could be wrong, check it out here, see if you see it the same way: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3969
mlytle0
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mlytle0 »

The temporary fix specified "export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5" possibly can't be run from just anywhere. I'm not sure which directory to run it in. I'm running an application rather than a game. Tried it from the default prompt, no success.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

It just sets an environment variable, after entering that then run wine from the same terminal / bash session. If it works. Unfortunately if it doesn't you may be stuck with downgrading.
mlytle0
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mlytle0 »

O.K. I have success. I found this excellent and simple tutorial on how to downgrade packages on Arch based systems (I'm on Manjaro) and it worked like a charm.

https://averagelinuxuser.com/downgrade- ... x-manjaro/