How to find a winecfg Graphics setting that works for BOTH 2D and 3D view

Questions about Wine on Linux
sponsor61
Level 3
Level 3

How to find a winecfg Graphics setting that works for BOTH 2D and 3D view

Post by sponsor61 »

Rowan's Battle of Britain (BoB), a 20 year old classic sim that is now open source, runs on Ubuntu 20.04 under wine 5.2 (Staging) and later versions of wine (Staging).

So what's the problem? BoB play alternates between a 3D flight sim view and a 2D strategy board game view. Each view has a problem that can be fixed with winecfg Graphics settings. I was able to find a winecfg setting that fixed both problems under wine (Staging) version 6.1 and earlier, but this setting no longer works for later versions such as the current wine 6.5 (Staging).

The 2D problem is that a large number of icons and the right click menu are missing from the 2D board game view if the decorate windows or virtual desktop options are selected in winecfg Graphics tab.

If neither of those winecfg options are selected, a problem occurs in the 3D flight sim view. The 3D problem is that a black box either blocks off part of the screen (wine 6.1 Staging or earlier) or flickers on and off (wine 6.5 Staging). Selecting neither of these winecfg options worked with wine 6.1 (Staging) and earlier so long as you attached a second monitor, as the block box would conveniently appear on the second monitor. No such luck with the current version of winehq-staging, wine 6.5 (Staging).

How can I get both the 2D and the 3D view working correctly? I tried running winecfg on a second monitor and changing the setting when I switched between 2D and 3D view on the BoB screen, but this had no effect.

Thanks

P.S.

The BoB source code is here:
https://github.com/xor2003/bob-flight-sim

The BoB windows binary and linux installation script is at the sim museum here: https://github.com/sim-museum/esports-for-engineers
=CO= Windler
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to find a winecfg Graphics setting that works for BOTH 2D and 3D view

Post by =CO= Windler »

If you want to run only that game on WINE 5.2 but need a modern WINE version for the rest, you may try PlayOnLinux. It permits to install several WINE versions and select them per program, but it also complicates things a bit. (You don't need to use the integrates pseudo-appstore but can still install your software by hand if you need programs not offered or properly supported by it.)
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

You'll probably want to file a bug. I'm not aware of any generic advice beyond running with or without a virtual desktop and you've covered that. With any luck someone may suggest some debug options that point somewhere, and having the source may help as well so be sure to mention that.
sponsor61
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sponsor61 »