Mint 20.1 Cinnamon install problems

Questions about Wine on Linux
Dynaco_wjw

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon install problems

Post by Dynaco_wjw »

Hi,
I'm new here. Just installed Mint 20.1 Cinnamon.
Tried to install Wine (Windows API Implementation) from the menu but without success.
I de-installed Wine and visited the Wine website.
I used this procedure:

Download and add the repository key:
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key

Add the repository:
For this version: Use this command:
Linux Mint 20.x

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'

Update packages:
sudo apt update

Then install one of the following packages:
Stable branch

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

In the terminal screen everything looked well.

When I now go to the 'menu' button, I can see 'Wine', but it only has "Station C: look" inside.

Did I follow the right procedure?

Regards,
Wim (the Netherlands)
fargodwe

Re: Mint 20.1 Cinnamon install problems

Post by fargodwe »

Just a quick note first: I think you missed the first step in the installation

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
Now, as far as your question is concerned, do you have an installer for a Windows program? If so, use the file explorer to get to it, right click and see if it shows "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader" then you probably have wine installed correctly. To test, try clicking on that text and see if the it starts showing messages about wine being configured, ask if you want to install things like mono, etc., and eventually starts your installer.

Note that if it's a 32-bit program you are installing you will need to be sure you have specified WINEARCH=win32. I would also recommend you read the information about wine prefixes and install programs to their own prefix. The documentation should help for understanding WINEARCH and wine prefixes (WINEPREFIX). Keep in mind the documentation is out of date in places and as noted at the top it is being revised.https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_Guide
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Dynaco_wjw

It's generally recommended to use Wine, directly from a terminal...
See: 6 Using Wine.

If you feel you need better Desktop Integration, for Wine, then perhaps see my Github: bobwya / wine-desktop-common repository.
The stock WineHQ Wine packages do not provide any Desktop Integration.

Bob
=CO= Windler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by =CO= Windler »

I install windoze programs through PlayOnLinux because it allows individual settings and installing multiple WINE versions and architectures (32 and 64bit) simultaneously. But it may also complicate things and has some other bugs (e.g. file extension selection window can lockup and stay blank when typing wrong characters, which makes you loose the yet assigned extensions).
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@=CO= Windler

Unfortunately we can't support 3rd party Wine wrappers on this site...
Especially Play On Linux 4, which is barely supported / updated these days... :roll:

See: WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help

Bob