EarMaster 7.2 Debugging

Questions about Wine on Linux
codebird

EarMaster 7.2 Debugging

Post by codebird »

I'm trying to run EarMaster 7.2 on Ubuntu 20.04 using wine-6.0.
EarMaster is an ear trainer. When doing a lesson, notes should be displayed. EarMaster uses it's own fonts for this and they can be found in the program files directory.
My problem is, that in the training lessons no notes are shown. Apart from that, lessons start up alright and work, as far as I can tell. There is sound output and I can enter answers.
Each time the software generates a new question, a message box pops up saying that a function called "tStaffTruetype.GetNoteHeadWidth" returned zero.
My hypothesis is, that this function is supposed to calculate the adequate size of the note before it is displayed. The function returning zero could result in notes being "there", but not visible (but I cannot verify that).
I want to try to use the debugger to manually set the return value of said function to something else than zero to see if that will make the notes appear.
Since I probably can not just set a breakpoint on the function itself, because it is part of the app (which apparently does not include debug symbols) and not wine, I was wondering, whether it is possible to get a hold of it in some other way. I once read an article that demonstrated a way to debug an executable that was compiled without debug symbols using gdb with memory addresses instead of function names or line numbers to set breakpoints.
Is there any way to change the return value of a function in the app with wine or winedbg?
Thank you for any advice!
fargodwe

Re: EarMaster 7.2 Debugging

Post by fargodwe »

If you run it from a terminal window what does the output show? Perhaps you need one of the directx packages installed?