Post by gregory.opera »

My System Info

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Desktop Environment: GNOME
Graphics Card: GeForce MX250
GPU Driver Version: 460.39

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

You can note your issue below here

I am unable to run Windows "installers" using WINE (right-click "installer" file-->Open with WINE Windows Program Loader")... When I try to do so, I see an animated spinning icon for about fifteen (15) seconds, then nothing.

I did not have this problem until I accidentally installed "GOG Galaxy" for a particular game (and people actually want this garbage for Linux?)(I had downloaded the wrong "installer" and the one I did download installed "GOG Galaxy" first, before unsuccessfully attempting to install said game).

I have been working on this all day, and had no luck trying to fix it... I have completely "purged" / re-installed WINE multiple times, I have rebooted my system repeatedly, I have manually searched for files that appear to be related to WINE and then deleted them (emptying my "trash" in the process"), again whilst rebooting in between - no change.

So now I'm out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: WINE Won't Open Installers Anymore

Post by Bob Wya »

@gregory.opera

This a WineHQ Forum and your problem is with Wine...
Yet you haven't bothered to state what version of Wine you are testing with!! :roll:

Bob
gregory.opera

Post by gregory.opera »

WINE 6.5, under Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Everything runs fine when I launch installers and .exe files via Terminal, and somebody else suggested on another forum that it might be a file association issue... Any idea how to fix this?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

gregory.opera wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:16 pm WINE 6.5,
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50867