Wine 5.0 on Linux Mint 20.1

Questions about Wine on Linux
ghost44

Wine 5.0 on Linux Mint 20.1

Post by ghost44 »

Hello all, I am a lifelong Windows user and have been having issues getting old games to work properly. After looking on the WineHQ AppDB and noticing that all three of the games I wanted to try were listed as working great without any issues, I decided to give Wine a try in a Linux VM.

I installed Linux Mint 20.1 without an issue and installed Wine 5.0 without any issues. I followed the instructions for creating a 32-bit prefix on a 64-bit system. However, I have had nothing but problems trying to get any of these games to work. The three games in question are Still Life, Safecracker, and Daemonica. Still Life pops up an error immediately upon launching saying "Cannot create renderer" (same error I was getting on my Windows system)... Safecracker says "This program requires at least 3MB of virtual memory to run". Daemonica immediately pops up the error "Cannot access video system".

I feel like I'm just chasing my tail at this point and getting these games to work is a pipe dream. Does anyone have any helpful hints or thoughts? I am a newbie when it comes to Linux and Wine, but my day-job is as an IT Admin and I am intimately familiar with the nitty-gritty of PC's as I have been using computers daily for 30+ years.

Any thoughts or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine 5.0 on Linux Mint 20.1

Post by jkfloris »

- Safecracker
Have you tried the workaround that is mentioned on the AppDB?
Additional Comments

In order to remove the "This program requires at least 3mb of free virtual memory to run" error popping up at the start of the game (post installation) I patched the .exe-file using the method described here https://www.sacah.net/2008/01/how-to-ed ... -stop.html. Set Windows version to Windows 95.

The game has a tendency of freezing after ~30-60min of gameplay, but this is found in Windows as well.
- Still Life & Daemonica
Which virtual machine do you use? Does the guest operating system have access to the GPU?
ghost44

Re: Wine 5.0 on Linux Mint 20.1

Post by ghost44 »

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Somehow I missed that note on the AppDB page for Safecracker; thanks for pointing it out, that did the trick!

I also managed to get Still Life working by installing Wine 2.0. Is it normal to have to use old versions of Wine to get older software to work properly? I haven't had a chance to try Daemonica with 2.0; I am going to give it a shot shortly.

Thanks again!