Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Questions about Wine on Linux
Post Reply
byjove01
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by byjove01 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Hello.

Before, Vortex Mod Manager was pretty much correctly working but now, for unknown reasons, it is displaying a white window (as much on splashscreen as on main window) and now I can't use the software anymore.

Here is the Lutris log I got from this. https://pastebin.com/SSVJA61n
The wine build I'm using on this software is wine-tkg-5.15-staging in a 64bit Wine prefix. I don't get how the software could go such wrong. I'm on Arch Linux, fully updated, 64bits. My default Wine build is wine-staging, and no, it does not work even with this one, or any other I got.

Just ask if you need more elements that I didn't include. Thanks in advance.

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by fargodwe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm a complete novice here so I may be way off base. I did notice some errors in the file you posted that relate to vulcan and trying to create or paint or something a windows. Is there some way to test it without vulcan?

byjove01
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by byjove01 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:47 am

Well, I tried to launch it without DXVK but it shows me a black window this time. I don't really know if it's related or not to Vulkan.

Synack2008
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by Synack2008 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:04 am

In my testing with DXVK in another app I'm getting a similar issue of failing to create D3D 2D surfaces. I believe it has to with shared objects in DXVK that are not yet implemented. I need to do more testing to make sure my assertion is correct. In my case it's just one window (the application's store) I can live without.

Uninstalling DXVK solves my issue, and may help with yours. You may need to try and reinstall wine and the app without DXVK.
You may also need to provide a new log file without DXVK to see if there are new/additional errors.

byjove01
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by byjove01 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 pm

Synack2008 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:04 am
In my testing with DXVK in another app I'm getting a similar issue of failing to create D3D 2D surfaces. I believe it has to with shared objects in DXVK that are not yet implemented. I need to do more testing to make sure my assertion is correct. In my case it's just one window (the application's store) I can live without.

Uninstalling DXVK solves my issue, and may help with yours. You may need to try and reinstall wine and the app without DXVK.
You may also need to provide a new log file without DXVK to see if there are new/additional errors.
I already tried to launch Vortex without DXVK and it did the same but with a black background. Said it higher.
I am not sure uninstalling DXVK will help in any way since a lot of my games are dependant on it to run correctly with Wine... can't you give me another way ?

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by fargodwe » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:21 pm

Does removing Vulcan and going with one of the directx packages work? Just put your app in a separate prefix so you won't hurt your other games that run.

Synack2008
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by Synack2008 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:05 pm

byjove01 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 pm
Synack2008 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:04 am
In my testing with DXVK in another app I'm getting a similar issue of failing to create D3D 2D surfaces. I believe it has to with shared objects in DXVK that are not yet implemented. I need to do more testing to make sure my assertion is correct. In my case it's just one window (the application's store) I can live without.

Uninstalling DXVK solves my issue, and may help with yours. You may need to try and reinstall wine and the app without DXVK.
You may also need to provide a new log file without DXVK to see if there are new/additional errors.
I already tried to launch Vortex without DXVK and it did the same but with a black background. Said it higher.
I am not sure uninstalling DXVK will help in any way since a lot of my games are dependant on it to run correctly with Wine... can't you give me another way ?
I believe you said you had disabled DXVK above. I'm not familiar with how Lutris works which is why I suggested to uninstall DXVK. Is it the same thing?

In any case, once you disable/remove DXVK, run the app again and provide the log to see if you get another new error. (Which you should if DXVK is removed as that is a Vulkan error)
I run pure Wine-staging so I may be of limited help to you (Wine-tkg has numerous patches and changes from regular Wine)
Someone suggested trying it in a new clean prefix (Also without DXvk) which may help troubleshoot the problem.

Synack2008
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by Synack2008 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Sorry, never mind my last message. I seem to have trouble reading lately :D
Let's go with a log file from a clean prefix and see what errors you get.

byjove01
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by byjove01 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Just tried it.. Same thing, sadly your solution doesn't work. And anyways I'm afraid that using Vortex in an other prefix than the one it was installed into could break the software, I'd need to make whole reconfigurations etc.

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by fargodwe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 pm

You would only need to put it in a clean prefix to do the testing to see if Vortex itself, not your other gaming apps, will run. Start with a clean prefix. Run from command line and note errors - post back here if needed. Do not install DXVK or anything else - just start clean. If in testing you think you need directx, try one of the non-vulcan directx packages. Once you get Vortex itself working in a clean prefix, THEN you should be able to work backwards to know what was installed in the "normal" prefix versus what you did in the clean prefix and try cleaning things up.

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by fargodwe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm

So, I'm running linux Mint 20.1 so I use the WineHQ ubuntu focal instructions to install wine. I know Arch is quite different and I *think* you either build wine yourself or use something from github, correct?

With that in mind, I am running wine 6.5 staging. I wasn't going to pay for a month of usage to download the installer for Vortex (at least it appeared I would need to), so I first downloaded Vortex 1.4.9 from github but it hung on the Loading Extensions screen and I found references on the net that indicated this was occurring for them when wine updated from 6.1 staging to 6.5 staging. So I completely removed everything dealing with Vortex - the download, the prefix, the wine menu entries, the desktop icon. I then downloaded 1.3.21 from github. It installed fine (64-bit prefix). It runs fine. Nothing added. No DXDV, nothing added via winetricks, etc.. Just a clean prefix So:
  • Did you have a recent update of wine?
  • Did you have a recent update of Vortex?
  • Did anything else change in the prefix (added an app, etc.?)
  • What version of Vortex are you running?
I also was looking at github wine packages and claim no experience there. I did find staging 6.5 there (which given the error I and others encountered you wouldn't want), but.......is there an update to the current tkg of wine staging you are using to get you to a newer release of wine - perhaps the current stable version 6?

byjove01
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by byjove01 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Heya! Sorry for being late.
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
So, I'm running linux Mint 20.1 so I use the WineHQ ubuntu focal instructions to install wine. I know Arch is quite different and I *think* you either build wine yourself or use something from github, correct?
I'm using the main Wine-staging build I got from the official repos. I avoid to build Wine by myself because I don't generally have the time or even don't really have the experience to do it.
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
With that in mind, I am running wine 6.5 staging. I wasn't going to pay for a month of usage to download the installer for Vortex (at least it appeared I would need to), so I first downloaded Vortex 1.4.9 from github but it hung on the Loading Extensions screen and I found references on the net that indicated this was occurring for them when wine updated from 6.1 staging to 6.5 staging. So I completely removed everything dealing with Vortex - the download, the prefix, the wine menu entries, the desktop icon. I then downloaded 1.3.21 from github. It installed fine (64-bit prefix). It runs fine. Nothing added. No DXDV, nothing added via winetricks, etc.. Just a clean prefix.
Hmm... It's really strange. I actually did the same thing, but I got the same problem. Maybe I should reinstall Vortex, even though I didn't touch its main files.
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
  • Did you have a recent update of wine?
Yes, I did. A big one, by the way, if I remember correctly, it was the Wine 6.0 one, but I'm not sure about it.
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
  • Did you have a recent update of Vortex?
Nope. Never update Vortex, that's what people said me, since the latest versions doesn't work with Wine.
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
  • Did anything else change in the prefix (added an app, etc.?)
Not really. I generally remove most dependencies when I'm adding an software to this prefix so there's no useless interferences with it (and no, Vortex doesn't work when I keep them).
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
  • What version of Vortex are you running?
Same than yours.
fargodwe wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm
I also was looking at github wine packages and claim no experience there. I did find staging 6.5 there (which given the error I and others encountered you wouldn't want), but.......is there an update to the current tkg of wine staging you are using to get you to a newer release of wine - perhaps the current stable version 6?
Well indeed, Wine-TKG seems like it got updated to version 6, but I'm not sure if it's wise to make a hard transition to this version when my 5.15 version was working before. Actually, I'll do it if I need to.

byjove01
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by byjove01 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 am

Still waiting..

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Vortex Mod Manager shows a full white window

Post by fargodwe » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Since I installed it was I mentioned and it worked fine for me, there is nothing more I can do for you. Hopefully one of the experts here will see this and help you.

Post Reply