Tiny UI on HiDPI Monitor

Questions about Wine on Linux
Dark Owl
Level 1
Level 1

Tiny UI on HiDPI Monitor

Post by Dark Owl »

Is there a configuration for Wine which will force a HiDPI "magnification" on the software running in it?

For example: I'm running EAC (Exact Audio Copy, because there seems to be no Linux alternative), and although I can adjust the DPI (in Wine config) to increase the size of text, the non-text features do not adjust so the EAC UI gets garbled. With a DPI setting so the UI isn't garbled, the text is tiny.

What I need is for the Wine graphics emulation to be able to double up each pixel.

Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Tiny UI on HiDPI Monitor

Post by spoon0042 »

There's this open bug on the subject: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39768

Doesn't seem likely to be implemented in wine but the last comment there points to 'gamescope' which looks to be a more general solution.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Not sure if this will help in your particular case but some graphics chipsets come with utilities that can enter in a magnification mode of sorts. I use the following before playing diablo ii:

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --verbose --assign CurrentMetaMode="DPY-2: 2560x1440_144 { ViewPortIn=1280x720, ViewPortOut=2560x1440, ResamplingMethod=Nearest }"
And have other variations like I think for one game I use a ratio of 1 visual pixel equals 2 physical x pixels by 3 physical y pixels. For me it is the go-to solution that will always work but it is a pain having to replace window locations when I come back to normal resolution.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Lastly, if you magnify you should adjust mouse settings to match, if you can. I do this:

Code: Select all

idd=$(xinput --list | grep 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse' | awk '{print $7}'| cut -d'=' -f2)
xinput --set-prop $idd 'libinput Accel Speed' -0.5
As with the other command, you can fine grain customize for other ratios