msado15 problem in Wine 5, was working in Wine 4

Questions about Wine on Linux
siny

msado15 problem in Wine 5, was working in Wine 4

Post by siny »

Hello!

I am trying to upgrade a few workstations to newer Wine (version 5.0 from openSUSE LEAP 15.2), but I am facing a problem:

in old Wine version 4.0 (some old Fedora), I could run my Windows app which uses msado15.dll:

Code: Select all

0009:warn:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"Z:\\home\\monolit\\MIDAS.DLL": /root/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/monolit/midas.dll: invalid ELF header
0009:warn:module:load_builtin_dll cannot open .so lib for builtin L"MIDAS.DLL": /usr/bin/../lib/wine/midas.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:warn:module:alloc_module disabling no-exec because of L"MIDAS.DLL"
0009:warn:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\System\\ADO\\msado15.dll": /root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Common Files/System/ADO/msado15.dll: invalid ELF header
0009:warn:module:load_builtin_dll cannot open .so lib for builtin L"msado15.dll": /usr/bin/../lib/wine/msado15.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:warn:module:alloc_module disabling no-exec because of L"msado15.dll"
0009:warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\System\\ADO\\MSDART.DLL" not found (c0000034)
0009:warn:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MSDART.DLL": /root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/msdart.dll: invalid ELF header
0009:warn:module:load_builtin_dll cannot open .so lib for builtin L"MSDART.DLL": /usr/bin/../lib/wine/msdart.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:warn:module:alloc_module disabling no-exec because of L"MSDART.DLL"
but in version 5.0 I am getting only this:

Code: Select all

0009:warn:module:find_builtin_dll cannot find builtin library for L"MIDAS.DLL"
0009:warn:module:alloc_module disabling no-exec because of L"MIDAS.DLL"
0009:warn:ntdll:FILE_CreateFile L"\\??\\Z:\\usr\\bin\\..\\lib\\wine\\msado15.dll" not found (c0000034)
0009:fixme:msado15:command_put_CommandType 155877A0, 1
So, I understood that first line (with "not found") is OK, it is just telling me that there is no builtin library. Second line (with "disabling no-exec") is actual loading of the native library. There are many more such lines in debug log and that seems to be fine.

I have found this "fixme" string only in one place: https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-d ... 66742.html but it does not help me at all.

I have installed MDAC2.8 (also tried with MDAC2.7), also tried with some msado15.dll's from Steam, but the result is always the same (only number at the end changes all the time). Also installed VBRUN6 (contains msdart.dll), but it seems that we never get there.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...
siny

Re: msado15 problem in Wine 5, was working in Wine 4

Post by siny »

To reply to myself: Wine 5 is old too, I have upgraded to openSUSE LEAP 15.3 BETA, with Wine 6, and everything works "out of the box", without any winetricks.
Problem solved.

Best regards....
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Actually starting with 5.0 there *is* a builtin msado15, so if you haven't already tried in an existing prefix add a native,builtin override for it. If you've already messed everything up though you should probably be using an updated winetricks to setup a prefix and install mdac or whatever else you need. (And may still need an additional tweak besides, things got messy.)

((Also 6.0 stable has released already, fwiw.))
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I’d avoid using distro provided wine packages and use the Winehq provided version. Unless the distro package is maintained by a Winehq maintainer.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

siny wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:38 am To reply to myself: Wine 5 is old too, I have upgraded to openSUSE LEAP 15.3 BETA, with Wine 6, and everything works "out of the box", without any winetricks.
Problem solved.
Glad you were able to solve it. FYI, for future reference, on openSUSE you can get the latest version of Wine for current versions of openSUSE from the Emulators:Wine repository.