How to open steam in no browser mode.

Questions about Wine on Linux
lucasteganoX
Level 1
Level 1

How to open steam in no browser mode.

Post by lucasteganoX »

I have 2 gb ram on my pc(yeah i know that i should update my pc and things like so) and steam uses near to 700 mb ram, when i open a game(brawlhalla) it's just unplayable 7 fps(and i still beating people xd) i know how to launch steam in that mode, i tried launching this command : /home/(my user)/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64/dosdevices/../drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam.exe -no-browser -no-cef-sandbox -console
But for some reason wine detects that the "-no-browser" and all next to it is part of the name of steam, and obviously wine can't find a package with that name, i tried using "" and things like that but nothing happend. Please give me help!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to open steam in no browser mode.

Post by Bob Wya »

@lucasteganoX

You could try:

Code: Select all

wine start "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\Steam.exe" -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist
See: WineHQ AppDB: Steam / Official Release: Steam Client Launcher.

Generally, these days, I'd recommend just using the native Linux Steam Client and Valve's Proton Compatibility layer (aka the built-in Steamplay feature)...

The Windows version of the Steam Client hasn't worked properly under Wine, for years now.

Bob
lucasteganoX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucasteganoX »

I alredy tried it but for some reason wine says path not found, even if the path is the right, also if i write it without steam launch options wine is able to find and launch it, but it takes the options like part of the name.
also, i don't use steam proton because i just play brawlhalla on steam is literally the only game that i play and when i tried to open it under steam proton it just doen't launched, steam said that the game was running but it wasn't, i took a look to the system monitor and nothing.
any ways maybe there is a way to ban that process and make impossible to it use ram.
lucasteganoX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucasteganoX »

i just play brawlhalla on steam, and it doesn't run under steam proton, when i tried it, steam said that game was running when it wasn't.
so i installed lutris and a runner of lutris, "wine steam" i guess that runner is a wine prefix for steam.
any ways the command that you suggested me i alredy tried it, it says "path not found" even if the path is right.
i don't know, maybe is there any way to ban that process (steamwebhelper.exe) and impede for that process start and hence use ram.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@lucasteganoX

Are you specifying the WINEPREFIX, when attempting to use the Lutris Wine runner...
E.g.

Code: Select all

export WINEPREFIX="/home/${USER}/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64"
wine start "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\Steam.exe" -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist
See: WineHQ FAQ: 6 Using Wine.

If this still doesn't work, please can you post a Wine terminal log, using the forum Code tags - </> button above the full WineHQ forum edit box.

See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Ta,
Bob
lucasteganoX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucasteganoX »

I don't know what are you talking about. If i'am honest i don't know what is a wineprefix, i reed a little bit about it, if i remember correctly it is a custom set up of wine for an specific aplication. I'm new on the pc's world, Any ways when i try to launch it i put the specific path to the steam app, but i'll search what are you talking about. Thanks for the help :)

Pd: i just put the command "export wineprefix /path/to/steam and with that steam can't launch.
lucasteganoX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucasteganoX »

I found the way to do it, i had trouble with it trying to launch it with "wine start" and i don't know why but i can do it using "wine" instead and adding the "-no-browser" parameter, thank you @Bob Wya for your help!
lucasteganoX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucasteganoX »

I found the way to do it, i had trouble with it trying to launch it with "wine start" and i don't know why but i can do it using "wine" instead and adding the "-no-browser" parameter, thank you @Bob Wya for your help!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

np 8)