How do I change audio input devices during runtime?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tindytim

How do I change audio input devices during runtime?

Post by Tindytim »

I've been running Rocksmith 2014 Remastered using the ALSA driver on Wine-6.3 without too many issues; However I usually have to use Winecfg to select the "Input Device" for the first players audio and "Voice Input Device" for the second players audio. Each audio input is a USB sound card. This works until someone wants to quit, a cable gets disconnected, or someone else wants to join in (Rocksmith doesn't allow singleplayer while multiple devices are detected).

I've attempted using both Winecfg and wine regedit to change the audio devices during runtime, but I always get this error:

Code: Select all

wine client error:0: version mismatch 635/684.
Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?
How do I change "Input Device" and "Voice Input Device" while applications are still running in that bottle?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How do I change audio input devices during runtime?

Post by Bob Wya »

Tindytim wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:07 am ...

I've attempted using both Winecfg and wine regedit to change the audio devices during runtime, but I always get this error:

wine client error:0: version mismatch 635/684.
Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?
How do I change "Input Device" and "Voice Input Device" while applications are still running in that bottle?
@Tindytim

This would imply that you have multiple versions of Wine (/ Wine Staging) installed.

SERVER_PROTOCOL_VERSION protocol 635
corresponds to roughly Wine Staging 5.14 (I think Wine Staging bumps the SERVER_PROTOCOL_VERSION by 1).

Without knowing what Operating System / Linux Distribution you are running - I can't offer much further advice...

Bob
Tindytim

Re: How do I change audio input devices during runtime?

Post by Tindytim »

I'm running Arch Linux x86_64, with Wine installed from the repos, but Rocksmith I have running through Proton (5.13 I think). I will edit this with more detail when I get home.

I assumed this was the intended function as it only happens when Rocksmith is running. I can run winecfg and regedit fine when nothing else is running in that bottle.