Starcraft 2 - Arcade Game - Undead Assault Reborn

Questions about Wine on Linux
xecuter

Starcraft 2 - Arcade Game - Undead Assault Reborn

Post by xecuter »

Hi,
I need some tips. I want to play UAR in SC2, but if I load this Arcade Game... ~75% Blizzard crash.
With Lutris - Battle.net. ArchLinux and AMDgpu. I do not know what Informations are important.
In the Lutris Community, they said it is a problem of WINE.

So some DEVs with Starcraft 2 could try Undead Assault Reborn?
And check the failure and debug WINE, that I can play UAR with my friends?
xecuter

Re: Starcraft 2 - Arcade Game - Undead Assault Reborn

Post by xecuter »

I do not understand. Nobody know this? No solution?no tips, no tutorial. It is just one question and the game is 10000mio years old. no other one is interested in? hmmm....
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Maybe we can help you if you post a terminal output.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@xecuter

Lutris is not supported on the WineHQ Site.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help

If insist on using Lutris - then at least check you have the necessary / base dependencies for Wine, etc., which are required by Lutris. See: Lutris: Wiki

Taking a look: WineHQ AppDB: Real-Time Strategy StarCraft II Current ; Starcraft 2 should run OK with a current version of stock Wine or Wine Staging - i.e. version 6.0 (or newer)...

Bob
Seda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Seda »

I actually tried to find this to see if I could help (I have SC2 and play it frequently without issues), but I can't find that map.

https://www.affsdiary.com/seda/which.png

^ This is what I see in the arcade. I use winehq-staging set to win10, winecfg "do not allow window manager to decorate", and winetricks isolate_home dxvk and nothing else. If you can link me to the map I'll see if I can crash myself as well, maybe that'll help narrow it down.
xecuter

Post by xecuter »

sc2 terminal output
$lutris -d
sc2 is started. now the output, if i select Undead Assault Reborn - open lobby - start game:

0728:fixme:d3dx:D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory Unhandled filter 0x80004.
0728:fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl WS_SIO_UDP_CONNRESET stub
0798:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0000000069BBD0C0 "/home/ubuntu/buildbot/runners/wine/wine-src/dlls/d3dcompiler_43/compiler.c: wpp_mutex" wait timed out in thread 0798, blocked by 078c, retrying (60 sec)
0794:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0000000069BBD0C0 "/home/ubuntu/buildbot/runners/wine/wine-src/dlls/d3dcompiler_43/compiler.c: wpp_mutex" wait timed out in thread 0794, blocked by 078c, retrying (60 sec)
0950:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
08bc:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (007BFE94 00000000): stub

if i close the send error report to blizzard...
0950:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (00B3FE38 00000000): stub
0024:fixme:win:GetPointerDevices (0031C4AC 00000000): partial stub
0024:fixme:system:GetDisplayConfigBufferSizes (0x2 0031C4AC 0031C4A8): semi-stub
0024:fixme:system:DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo Unimplemented packet type: 11
andrew.smart
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andrew.smart »

I LOVE SC2 Undead Assault. Unfortunately I haven't played SC2 for about a year.

If you're playing in a win32 prefix, I remember some SC2 maps crash because, they use more than 2GB memory. But 95%+ of the maps don't hit that limit, and IIRC they tend to crash while playing the map instead of while loading it.

Try a win64 prefix if you're running SC2 in a win32 prefix, and changing the launch options in the Battle.net launcher to run the game in 64 bit mode.

At a glance this line looks concerning to me:
"0728:fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl WS_SIO_UDP_CONNRESET stub"

But what is missing from your posts includes things like if SC2 UA worked before for you and this problem is due to an update in SC2, or a newer wine version, if the crash happens in the loading screen when the bar hits 75%, etc.
andrew.smart
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andrew.smart »

Ah, d3dcompiler_43/compiler.c appears to be where shaders are compiled.

https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/blo ... ler.c#L640

Games tend to write their shader compile errors somewhere. Figure out where SC2 writes those, and post them here. There are also tools you can run while the game is running, "GPU ShaderAnalyze" at a glance looks like a possibility you can use with your AMD GPU.

There are also be other tools/approaches you can try. I recall seeing one tool being able to actually change the shader the game uses on-the-fly, overriding whatever the game developer intended, and possibly allowing one to run a game on hardware/software that wouldn't support the original shader. But you'd need to understand shader language to do this, not a trivial exercise.

So... this doesn't appear likely to be a WINE problem, but a problem with the shader the UA developers ship with their map not compiling on your particular hardware/software. Look at those shader compile errors and figure out where to go from there. Also on hunch, I'd argue this is a bug with the map, for requiring newer shader features than SC2 requires (thus their handling of errors is insufficient?), thus no meaningful errors for the end-user? All sorts of possibilities.

Add d3dcompiler to your WINE logging: WINEDEBUG=d3dcompiler

With d3dcompiler tracing it should print out more trace messages and give a better sense of where the hang is, like:
TRACE("Preprocessed shader source: %s\n", debugstr_a(preproc_shader));

Or if you're not interested in debugging this yourself or supporting someone else to, you could go buy a newer GPU and hope it works better. Might be the quickest solution. Might be the only solution (unless you do an on-the-fly shader change). Could say more with more information.
Last edited by andrew.smart on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
andrew.smart
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andrew.smart »

@Seda You might not be able to see the map because you're logged into a different region than where the developer had uploaded the map to. Try logging into a different region, EU/Asia/US, etc, then look for the map and try it.
andrew.smart
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andrew.smart »

On a cursory google search for SC2 and shader problems:
https://forums.lutris.net/t/starcraft-2 ... games/1796

Figure out if that fixes it for you.