Networking Does not work in Wine on KDE Neon

Questions about Wine on Linux
grooveman
Level 1
Level 1

Networking Does not work in Wine on KDE Neon

Post by grooveman »

Hi,

I'm running KDE Neon, which is current as of today (build on ubuntu 20.x). I'm afraid that the i386 compatible wine layer doesn't seem to work so well out of the box on neon. I could not get any x386 applications to install, but I did find this, which uses the wine-hq repos instead:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=154066

I got wine to install this way, but there is a problem. Networking does not work. None of my applications appear to be able to hit the network. When I use the cmd application in wine, the strange thing is that it resolves the IP address of a DNS name. But, pings are always dropped. I have tested connectivity in iexplore as well, and find that it too does not get to the Internet (or local network). I have disabled any local firewall while testing this. I found the setcap solution on the wine page, but it does not fix the problem.

Code: Select all

setcap cap_net_raw+epi "$(readlink -f "/opt/wine-stable/bin/wine-preloader")"
or

setcap cap_net_raw+epi /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine-preloader
There are no complaints on the part of my system when applying those, but they don't seem to do anything. The networking is still not working in my wine environment. I cannot seem to find anyone else with this issue... though I've "googled" the heck out of it. The above seems to fix the problem for most people.

Here is my ipconfig from "wine cmd":
Ethernet adapter lo

Connection-specific DNS suffix. . : 
    IPv4 address. . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1
    IPv6 address. . . . . . . . . . . : ::1
    Default gateway . . . . . . . . . : 

Ethernet adapter enp0s25

Connection-specific DNS suffix. . : my-company.com

Ethernet adapter br0

IPv4 address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.253.111
    IPv6 address. . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::aaaa:c6ff:bbbb:630c%3
    Default gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.253.1

Ethernet adapter tap0

Ethernet adapter virbr0

IPv4 address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.122.1

Ethernet adapter virbr0-nic

Connection-specific DNS suffix. . : 
The only possible confounding variable I can think of is that my Ethernet card is bridged, because I run VMs on my system... though I don't know why that should affect aything...

Any ideas on how to get wine networking working properly? What am I missing here?

Thanks.

G
grooveman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Networking Does not work in Wine on KDE Neon

Post by grooveman »

More info:

Even though networking does not work on the wine version of iexplore, and even though it does not work with ping, and even though it does not work on the kindle app, when I installed the Kobo reader, it *does* work... which doesn't make any sense to me...
grooveman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grooveman »

Update:

iexplore.exe that ships with wine does not work -- no connection to the Internet or intranet. Pings do not work to local network or Internet. My Amazon Kindle software cannot get to the library, and constantly pops up a window telling me to configure the network settings (which are properly configured).

The primary reason for installing wine is to get my e-reader software, which normally works on Windows, installed on my linux system. So getting kindle working is important to me. The surprising thing is, however, that when I installed the kobo software, it *does* work. It reaches their library, and my store of books with no problem. I'm not sure what is going on here... but is there any way to get it working for my kindle software?

Thanks.
grooveman
Level 1
Level 1

Networking not working on Kindle Reader

Post by grooveman »

(changed subject in light of new information)
grooveman
Level 1
Level 1

Networking not working on Kindle Reader

Post by grooveman »

Well... I tried to change the subject... looks like it won't let me...
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Myself and a LOT of others have had problems with Kindle in wine. If you search the forum for kindle you'll find several threads. Something changed with the Kindle software in a change to a different release and installer. I'm not sure anyone has recently gotten Kindle to run in wine.
grooveman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grooveman »

I'll poke around a bit then. I deliberately kept it to an old version, thinking that would be safe. I still don't understand why pings won't work, or why the wine version of iexplore won't work... but I don't really care about that. I'm after the kindle reader.. it was just throwing me off. I thought all networking was bad. The Kobo reader proved me wrong on that.

I'll try looking for problems specific to kindle... Thanks.
steve_johnson56
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steve_johnson56 »

I know his is an older post, but if you are still interested in trying to get the Kindle for PC app working in wine I did find a way to get it to work for me. The link to the thread is viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35486