Vulkan/dxvk 'No Compatible Direct3D Device'

Questions about Wine on Linux
Bug2k16
Level 1
Level 1

Vulkan/dxvk 'No Compatible Direct3D Device'

Post by Bug2k16 »

I'm trying to get an old game 'Kyodai Mahjongg' working. I do have another computer running linux that runs it fine under wine, but I can't get my new computer to run it.
Created a new 32bit prefix and ran the installer which works fine, but when it starts it just a black window (except for a few random pixels in the top left), the game is working but nothing displays, I can click on the black window and the correct sounds are heard.
I've installed vulkan (on amd rx580), the vulkan cube works fine on linux. I've installed the vulkansdk within the wineprefix and the vulkan cube renders fine under wine. If I change the renderer with 'winetricks renderer=vulkan' and run the game it brings up a window 'Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices' and closes.
I don't know what I should check as it does not show any errors in the terminal when this happens, any help on how to diagnose further is appreciated.
Bug2k16
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Vulkan/dxvk 'No Compatible Direct3D Device'

Post by Bug2k16 »

Here's 2 images, the first using opengl hardware rendering, the second with the option LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 it seems the entire rendering area is offset to the top left, can anyone explain why this is happening and is there anything I can check?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Bug2k16 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:34 pm ...
I've installed vulkan (on amd rx580), the vulkan cube works fine on linux. I've installed the vulkansdk within the wineprefix and the vulkan cube renders fine under wine. If I change the renderer with 'winetricks renderer=vulkan' and run the game it brings up a window 'Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices' and closes.
I don't know what I should check as it does not show any errors in the terminal when this happens, any help on how to diagnose further is appreciated.
@Bug2k16

I see no indication - on the Kyodai Mahjongg download webpage - that this game directly supports the Vulkan renderer.

What exact version of Kyodai Mahjongg are you testing?

If you're using an older version of Kyodai Mahjongg then you'd probably have use an older version of DirectX - which can cause some issues. There are Windows translation layers - which convert these earlier versions to DirectX 9.0c calls - which might help.

DXVK does support DirectX 9.0c 10 11 - translating these calls to the Vulkan API. Which is pretty much essential for newer Windows games. But it won't directly support DirectX versions prior to 9.0c ...

Bob
Bug2k16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bug2k16 »

Perhaps I should mention the distro and versions, it's 'arch' running on a ryzen 9 3900x, x570 chipset with an rx580 graphic card using the amdgpu driver and mesa 20.3.4 (currently) on Wine 6.3.
The game does appear to run, just nothing in the window. Using software rendering llvmpipe it looks to render correctly, just most is offscreen, I can see part of the animations running in the top left corner.
I have tried transferring the entire wine prefix from my old machine on which it works fine, but still get the same result. I presume this is an issue with the amd graphics as my old computer has an nvidia 770 and works fine.
Bug2k16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bug2k16 »

Bob Wya wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:22 am I see no indication - on the Kyodai Mahjongg download webpage - that this game directly supports the Vulkan renderer.

What exact version of Kyodai Mahjongg are you testing?

If you're using an older version of Kyodai Mahjongg then you'd probably have use an older version of DirectX - which can cause some issues. There are Windows translation layers - which convert these earlier versions to DirectX 9.0c calls - which might help.

DXVK does support DirectX 9.0c 10 11 - translating these calls to the Vulkan API. Which is pretty much essential for newer Windows games. But it won't directly support DirectX versions prior to 9.0c ...

Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob.
There hasn't been a new version of this since 2006, I think it probably used dx8.
It has run fine under wine for years on my old computer, and still does, but I can't get it working on this new computer. I'm not sure what to check or whether it's possible to get working on my amd gpu.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Bug2k16 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:30 am
Thanks for the reply Bob.
There hasn't been a new version of this since 2006, I think it probably used dx8.
It has run fine under wine for years on my old computer, and still does, but I can't get it working on this new computer. I'm not sure what to check or whether it's possible to get working on my amd gpu.
@Bug2k16

I gave the 2006 version of the game a quick try on my "craptop", using wine-staging 6.0 ...
No overrides required - works out-of-the-box...

This is very basic laptop:

Code: Select all

inxi -CG
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3320M bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           Speed: 2588 MHz min/max: 1200/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2592 2: 2592 3: 2592 4: 2592 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: Microdia Dell Integrated HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.3.1
- so I can't see why it wouldn't work on your system.
The AMD 580 GPU has very good Linux driver support (I've a 570 GPU in my desktop system - which serves me very well).

Just don't mess about trying to change the stock renderer, etc.! :lol:

Bob
Bug2k16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bug2k16 »

Bob Wya wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:22 pm I gave the 2006 version of the game a quick try on my "craptop", using wine-staging 6.0 ...
No overrides required - works out-of-the-box...

This is very basic laptop:

Code: Select all

inxi -CG
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3320M bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           Speed: 2588 MHz min/max: 1200/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2592 2: 2592 3: 2592 4: 2592 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: Microdia Dell Integrated HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.3.1
- so I can't see why it wouldn't work on your system.
The AMD 580 GPU has very good Linux driver support (I've a 570 GPU in my desktop system - which serves me very well).

Just don't mess about trying to change the stock renderer, etc.! :lol:

Bob
Yes, it works fine on my other computer, even on my laptop. I've started from scratch a few times on this new computer, default everything, fresh install, same result as above, which is why I was trying with vulkan/dxvk.
Thanks for taking the time to install.