Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - crash at startup

Questions about Wine on Linux
Kodiologist

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - crash at startup

Post by Kodiologist »

I'm running Wine 6.0 on Ubuntu 20.10 and I'm trying to run version 120 of Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, a GameMaker game. When I launch the program, I see a splash screen, but then there's a dialog box that says "Unexpected error occurred when running the game." and the program quits. The terminal output is attached. The latest test report for this game is from 2012, and apparently it worked fine. Any ideas?
Attachments
stderr.txt.gz
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - crash at startup

Post by jkfloris »

try:

Code: Select all

winetricks -q dsound gmdls
I get a warning about Direct Sound, but the game will run.
Kodiologist

Post by Kodiologist »

Looks like it works. Thanks! Some of the sound effects are staticky, but the game may have been like that from the beginning.
Kodiologist

Post by Kodiologist »

I got pretty far into the game, but now I'm getting a hang that I think may be related to the sound problems. When I get to a particular part, the game hangs while a short staticky sound plays repeatedly. You should be able to reproduce the hang with the attached save by uncompressing it, putting it in the game directory, starting the game, going one screen east, entering the doorway on the left, talking to Juwanna Mann, and paging through the dialog boxes.

The `fixme` that shows whenever a sound plays is "04f4:fixme:mciwave:MCIWAVE_DriverProc Unsupported command [2115]". Also, I've noticed that there is no music.
Attachments
Save1.sav.gz
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Kodiologist

Post by Kodiologist »

I tried `winetricks directmusic` and that solved the hang. It also removed the static sounds, although now there's a pause before each sound, and there's still no music (the last because of MIDI issues, I think; I haven't tried to debug that yet).