Wow64 on Ubuntu Groovy

Questions about Wine on Linux
wingarmac

Wow64 on Ubuntu Groovy

Post by wingarmac »

I've trouble with the use of a 64-bit prefix running 32-bit exe
You can find all the details of What I tried on Ask Ubuntu https://askubuntu.com/questions/1318510 ... stallation
I would like to work only on 64-bit even if the applications I'm using are 32-bit.
What should I do to get it to work?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wow64 on Ubuntu Groovy

Post by Bob Wya »

wingarmac wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:33 pm ...
I would like to work only on 64-bit even if the applications I'm using are 32-bit.
Essentially you can't.

MS Windows installers are generally all 32-bit.
So Wine needs a 32-bit component in order to support the vast majority of MS Windows applications (even if they pure 64-bit).

I'm not aware of an easy workaround for this issue.

Note that you can specify:

Code: Select all

WINE=wine64 winetricks ...
Bob
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wow64 on Ubuntu Groovy

Post by jkfloris »

Ubuntu 20.10: wine-6.2 with WOW64 and 32 or 64 bit program installations
When creating a 64 bit wine prefix it creates a directory structure with "Program Files (x86)".
That is the same on a 64-bit Windows installation
I can launch 32-bit programs into it, but I always get prompts that tell's me it could go wrong because I use a 64-bit prefix. Although there is no apparent error.
Although there is a scary red sign, it is only a reminder from winetricks to tell you to use a 32-bit prefix if something went wrong.
At top of that, when I install a 32-bit program into this prefix, should I do it with wine, or wine64? If I do it with wine, will it use the "Program Files (x86)" or the default "Program Files" reserved for 64-bit programs on a 64-bit architecture?
Always use <i>wine</i>. The installation program decides whether to use the "Program Files" or the "Program Files (x86)" directory.
It's not clear at all how to use a 64-bit architecture, with 32-bit applications/installations. The point is, some of the programs I want to install, have a 64-bit installer, but uses 32-bit launchers and are normaly installed into "Program Files (x86)".
Almost all installation programs are 32-bit. Otherwise, on a 32-bit computer, they will not be able to display an error that the program they want to install is 64-bit.
It does not matter to the program where it is installed.
My goal is to run a single Prefix for all the apps I need wine for. This would mostly be used for game purposes.
This is a very good idea!
How do I launch a prefix desktop WOW64, compatible for 32-bit and 64-bit apps as well?
That is the default configuration.
What is the best way to install all I need into this only prefix, without this prompt about 64-bit prefix?
I have no choice to use other than a 64-bit. My prefix should be at HOME/user/wine64/
Are you sure you need winetricks?

First, create a clean prefix at the location you want

WINEPREFIX=<the/location/you/want> wineboot
This wil create an 64-bit WoW64 prefix

Install and run your program with:

WINEPREFIX=<the/location/you/want> wine <setup.exe>
cd <to/the/installation>
WINEPREFIX=<the/location/you/want> wine <programma.exe>
If you need a winetricks, use