How to get ddr=opengl working?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Coob

How to get ddr=opengl working?

Post by Coob »

Hello there,
I recently installed Bad North and was trying to get it run on Wine. Yes, I am aware that Wine is primarily geared towards running applications and not games, but I did have some pretty decent success with it in the past. So, I made a new wine bottle, set the WINEARCH to win64 (because I was trying to run a game) and then after I was done setting up the architecture and prefix. I then went on to install DXVK and .NET framework 3.5 and 4.5.2 because previously it complained about wine mono or something so I did this and yes, finally the game actually launched, only to crash a few seconds later. The error was related to my Vulkan Graphics not being properly supported on Intel Haswell. I did try to add a PPA for the newest Mesa graphics, all to no avail. I went into winetricks and then found that there was an option, "ddr=opengl" and that sparked an idea in my head. I tried setting it to that, but it still gave me the same error, so I tried doing it through the Terminal instead. I entered the following command in:

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/BadNorth winetricks ddr=opengl
and pressed enter. It gave me an interesting output:

Code: Select all

Executing load_ddr opengl Setting Direct3D/DirectDrawRenderer to opengl Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\set-wined3d.reg Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\set-wined3d.reg
However, it still gave me an error. Just to add to this, I am a COMPLETE beginner to Wine and barely know my way around, so please be lenient and forgiving if I am making an incredibly obvious error.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to get ddr=opengl working?

Post by jkfloris »

Can you try the game with Wine 6.2 without .NET and dxvk?
Coob

Post by Coob »

jkfloris wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:46 pm Can you try the game with Wine 6.2 without .NET and dxvk?
Alright, I shall try that. Can you please give me some time? I am a little busy right now but I shall update Wine to 6.2 as soon as possible.
Coob

Post by Coob »

I tried it with Wine 6.0, without .NET and DXVK. It worked flawlessly out-of-the-box.