Treesize

Questions about Wine on Linux
Zbrooklyn

Treesize

Post by Zbrooklyn »

Hi everyone this is my first post

TreeSize Free (download without the installer)
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

I am trying to get any version of this software working it can be portable or installer version can someone please help for me this is a essential program
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Treesize

Post by qwertymnb »

Hi, I opened a bugreport for this program here:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50726
fargodwe

Re: Treesize

Post by fargodwe »

First off, know that I am very much just a basic novice user here, but I can try to offer a few things to you. There are a lot of people on the forum who know more than I can ever dream of so hopefully one or more of those will offer some help as well.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to see the disk space being used there are a lot of linux disk space analyzers the are free and open source. Some are built-in command line tools, others are GUI orientated.

It's quite possible one or more of these were delivered in your distribution. I'd first check to see if Disk Usage Manager (or it's old name baobab) shows in your desktop menu (if your desktop has one). I am running linux Mint and the Mate desktop. It shows under "System Tools". It's also possible it would just show under "Accessories" on a Gnome desktop. I select " Analyzer" on the tools menu and then select "Scan Filesystem". This obviously takes quite a while so you have to wait for it to generate the information for your entire file system. You can then inflate/deflate the folder trees for more information. On the gui that i get for the tool there is a separate option away from the menus that allows "View as Treemap Chart" or "View as Ring Chart". I personally click on that and select the "View as Ring Chart" option.

Keep in mind that wine is a set of tools installed to your normal linux filesystem. Each time you load a program it goes into a wine "prefix". A wine "prefix" can be though of as a windows application sandbox and is just another subtree in a linux filesystem. By default, unless you specify "WINEPREFIX=<some path>" when loading a program, it will create this sandbox as a hidden folder of .wine in your home folder. You could run Disk Usage Manager and find the folder the wine prefix is located and expand it. Keep in mind though that I believe (I'm very much a novice user here) since the prefix is just part of the linux filesystem that the logical disk drive will just grow as needed (perhaps with the addressing limits of the version of the prefix (win32 versus win64) but I'm not knowledgable to know that for sure.

As an aside, a very knowledgable user on the forum explained wine prefix's to me once so that if I needed to "start over" I wouldn't end up losing every other thing I had installed in wine. The easiest way is to just specify a new prefix for each program you load to wine. You can read more about prefix's here:https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Wineprefixes