The Secret of Monkey Island SE Music

Questions about Wine on Linux
finite9
Level 1
Level 1

The Secret of Monkey Island SE Music

Post by finite9 »

Hi,

I know this is old, but I need help with it. I'm running Fedora 33 with Wine 6 staging, and I've got the GOG versions of all the Monkey Island games.

I've installed a 32-bit Wine prefix, plus winetricks, and self-updated the winetricks. Then according to the appDB guides on this site for Monkey1, i've installed xact vcrun2008 & d3d9x. I read in one of the guides that I needed to choose Native for the Xaudio2_4.dll, but it was already set to native then builtin. Tried setting just native but no luck.

So the status of all 4 games is:

Monkey1: fine but no music
Monkey2: everything works fine inc. sound effects and music (after copying in D3DCompiler_42.dll from game installer)
Monkey3: everything works fine but laggy mouse. (not special edition and original gfx look a bit long in the tooth in ScummVM)
Monkey4: it's windowed even in full screen which I can't seem to change, and the mouse doesn't work, but otherwise sound effects and music is fine.

So the issue I want to solve is just the music in Monkey1, and as the effects and music are fine in the other three games, I'm guessing it's not an obvious problem. Do I need to install a specific version of d3d9x? Or is it s apecific audio DLL that needs copying in like the guide I found for monkey2?

From what I gather, this wasn't a problem in previous versions of wine, with this GOG version of Monkey1 that i've got, so Im guessing something changed in Wine and broke some compatibility that I now need to fix.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The Secret of Monkey Island SE Music

Post by spoon0042 »

Took me a while but I can confirm that (with 'winetricks xact') music works with wine-staging 4.3 but not with current.

When I get some time I can do a regression test unless you feel up to it. :)
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I've narrowed it down to between 5.14 and 5.15. Having trouble getting builds to work, meh.
finite9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by finite9 »

Hey thanks, that was very generous of you to test this. I'm not too sure how I go about installing an older version of wine with all it's dependencies. When I install it in Fedoras repos, it drags in a whole slew of other packages. If I get an older version from WineHQ, will that bring in the dependencies with it or do I have to do that manually? If there is some guide somewhere that explains how to install older builds and you know it's location of the top off your head then please post the link here.

Do you mean by your second post that the problem arrises in vuild 5.14 or 5.15? So if I install an earlier 5.x build I should be fine?

Yeah...Regression testing... looks very time consuming :/ I'll pass.

OT, but in frustration at not being able to play these that I recently bought from GOG (I just thought they'd work OOTB with Wine, with being so old and the guides on WineHQ indicating that it's be ok), I installed a kvm Win8.1Pro guest, but even with the spice guest tools, video performance completely sucks! :/ So much for that idea.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

finite9 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:29 am Hey thanks, that was very generous of you to test this. I'm not too sure how I go about installing an older version of wine with all it's dependencies. When I install it in Fedoras repos, it drags in a whole slew of other packages. If I get an older version from WineHQ, will that bring in the dependencies with it or do I have to do that manually? If there is some guide somewhere that explains how to install older builds and you know it's location of the top off your head then please post the link here.
The package manager should handle all that. Maybe. Unfortunately it looks like winehq only has older packages for Fedora 32 and I'm only familiar with Debian? You may be able to add the 32 repo, then install the appropriate packages specifying the version. Or if not download packages manually. I assume you were following the directions here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Fedora
Do you mean by your second post that the problem arrises in vuild 5.14 or 5.15? So if I install an earlier 5.x build I should be fine?
5.14 worked, 5.15 didn't. So 5.14 or earlier should work.
Yeah...Regression testing... looks very time consuming :/ I'll pass.

OT, but in frustration at not being able to play these that I recently bought from GOG (I just thought they'd work OOTB with Wine, with being so old and the guides on WineHQ indicating that it's be ok), I installed a kvm Win8.1Pro guest, but even with the spice guest tools, video performance completely sucks! :/ So much for that idea.
Unfortunately regressions happen and it takes someone noticing a problem to even start getting it fixed. With any luck I can track down the problem, file a bug, and hopefully someone who knows the code can get a fix. Hopefully. :)
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Bad news! winehq 5.15 package doesn't work, but a local build of 5.15 does. My day off tomorrow may be fun. :)
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

good/bad news I may have been tired and drinking. I got something from a regression test but I don't know if it's valid. Anyway I commented on this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50440
finite9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by finite9 »

Just saw an updated thread ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32192 ) talking about FAudio being repackaged in 2019. Would this not coincide with Wine 5.x packages. Is it the case that FAudio provides WMA and when the re-packaging happened and FAudio was not part of wine packaging anymore, it got borked? Just a pure guess.

Upgrading to Wine 6.1-staging from Fedoras update repo today didn't help.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

afaik whatever format support is needed should be in FAudio packages for a while now and things are supposed to work. I need to take another look and post on that bug again I think.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Possibly good news? As I posted on the bug report the game works with Steam Proton "experimental". Possibly because it uses a newer version of gstreamer. So there's two things you could try.
reaperx

Post by reaperx »

Just wanted to report that I got music to work with winetricks xact faudio, on Wine 6.23 (64 bit prefix).
finite9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by finite9 »

I can confirm that a new install of wine-7.0-rc4 (Staging) on Fedora 35, in a 64-bit prefix (haven't tested with 32-bit) using the following commands got the sound/speech working in monkey1 without any manual configuration in Wine:

sudo dnf install wine wine-dxvk-d3d9 wine-pulseaudio wine-mono.noarch wine-fonts.noarch wine-dxvk wine-alsa wine-desktop.noarch wine-dxvk.x86_64
WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
winetricks --self-update
winetricks xact vcrun2008 vcrun2010 d3dx9
winetricks xact faudio
wine setup_monkey_island_1_se_1.0_\(18587\).exe