Winetricks error

Questions about Wine on Linux
xXShadicXx11
Level 2
Level 2

Winetricks error

Post by xXShadicXx11 »

Hello I have problems when downloading msscript in winetricks I need it to be able to solve a problem that when running a game I get the following message: Run-time error '429'
ActiveX component can't create object.

I was reading that the solution is:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 msscript.ocx
the problem is that this file is only available through windows and I don't have it, so I saw that if I could do it it was through winetricks but it gave me an error when I wanted to download it. Is there a way to solve it?

Thanks for taking your time to read.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Winetricks error

Post by jkfloris »

Hello I have problems when downloading msscript in winetricks
Which version of winetricks do you use? The URL for msscript has changed a couple of times.
You can update winetricks with:

sudo winetricks --self-update
xXShadicXx11
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xXShadicXx11 »

Hello, thank you very much for answering, I just did what you told me and winetricks was updated, but I was finally able to install msscript but the problem continues so I don't know what to do anyway, here I give you a record of what I did to update and install msscript:

[jorge@jorge-a24win8 ~]$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/win32 winetricks --version
20201206 - sha256sum: e403ec830c40675225e1d6c1b78cc2da54376ddbeea0405b62b1b9576bba49d1
[jorge@jorge-a24win8 ~]$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/win32 winetricks --self-update
------------------------------------------------------
warning: You don't have the proper permissions to run this command. Try again with sudo or as root.
[jorge@jorge-a24win8 ~]$ sudo WINEPREFIX=$HOME/win32 winetricks --self-update
[sudo] password for jorge: 
Executing cd /tmp/winetricks.oOKGFxfd
Downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks to /tmp/winetricks.oOKGFxfd

01/17 12:28:33 [NOTICE] Downloading 1 item(s)

01/17 12:28:34 [NOTICE] Descarga completa: /tmp/winetricks.oOKGFxfd/winetricks

Resultados de la descarga:
gid   |stat|avg speed  |path/URI
======+====+===========+=======================================================
db7c49|OK  |   3.2MiB/s|/tmp/winetricks.oOKGFxfd/winetricks

Leyenda:
(OK):descarga completada.
Executing cd /home/jorge
Executing mv /tmp/winetricks.oOKGFxfd/winetricks /usr/bin/winetricks.update
Executing rmdir /tmp/winetricks.oOKGFxfd
Executing cp /usr/bin/winetricks /usr/bin/winetricks.bak
Executing chmod -x /usr/bin/winetricks.bak
Executing mv /usr/bin/winetricks.update /usr/bin/winetricks
Executing chmod +x /usr/bin/winetricks
warning: Update finished! The current version is 20201206-next - sha256sum: df61d998a52758d6070e1a32030901d2308f642d5edbbb3558c717bc3b1e2e7c. Use 'winetricks --update-rollback' to return to the previous version.

[jorge@jorge-a24win8 ~]$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/win32 winetricks msscript
Executing mkdir -p /home/jorge
Using winetricks 20201206-next - sha256sum: df61d998a52758d6070e1a32030901d2308f642d5edbbb3558c717bc3b1e2e7c with wine-5.22 and WINEARCH=win32
Executing w_do_call msscript
Executing mkdir -p /home/jorge
Executing load_msscript 
Executing cd /home/jorge/.cache/winetricks/winxpsp3
Downloading http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/dflt/2008/04/windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4.exe to /home/jorge/.cache/winetricks/winxpsp3

01/17 12:29:38 [NOTICE] Downloading 1 item(s)
 *** Download Progress Summary as of Sun Jan 17 12:30:39 2021 ***              
===============================================================================
[#5c8959 190MiB/316MiB(60%) CN:5 DL:3.1MiB ETA:40s]
FILE: /home/jorge/.cache/winetricks/winxpsp3/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[#5c8959 314MiB/316MiB(99%) CN:1 DL:3.0MiB]                                    
01/17 12:31:21 [NOTICE] Descarga completa: /home/jorge/.cache/winetricks/winxpsp3/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Resultados de la descarga:
gid   |stat|avg speed  |path/URI
======+====+===========+=======================================================
5c8959|OK  |   3.0MiB/s|/home/jorge/.cache/winetricks/winxpsp3/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Leyenda:
(OK):descarga completada.
Executing cd /home/jorge
Executing cabextract -q -d /home/jorge/win32/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp -L -F i386/msscript.oc_ /home/jorge/.cache/winetricks/winxpsp3/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe
Executing cabextract -q --directory=/home/jorge/win32/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32 /home/jorge/win32/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/i386/msscript.oc_
Using native,builtin override for following DLLs: i386/msscript.ocx
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\override-dll.reg
0034:err:menubuilder:init_xdg error looking up the desktop directory
You opted in, so reporting 'msscript ' to the winetricks maintainer so he knows which winetricks verbs get used and which don't.  Use --optout to disable future reports.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Looks like msscript is successful installed in your ~/win32 32-bit wineprefix.
I need it to be able to solve a problem that when running a game I get the following message: Run-time error '429'
Can you also post a terminal output?
xXShadicXx11
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xXShadicXx11 »

Hello, I just read and the problem continues to persist even though msscript is installed there, I tried to search for msscript in Program Files in case you have to run it but I can't find it, the game keeps giving the same message:

Run-time error '429'

Here is an output from the terminal:

[jorge@jorge-a24win8 SCZ]$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/win32 wine SCZ.exe 
0034:err:menubuilder:init_xdg error looking up the desktop directory
00c4:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load libvulkan.so.1.
0024:err:ole:com_get_class_object class {e1211353-8e94-11d1-8808-00c04fc2c602} not registered
0024:err:ole:create_server class {e1211353-8e94-11d1-8808-00c04fc2c602} not registered
0024:err:ole:com_get_class_object no class object {e1211353-8e94-11d1-8808-00c04fc2c602} could be created for context 0x5
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I got your program to run, based on SCZ.exe being an old game which I could download freely. You need to be starting with that zip file, not the exe (I have no way of knowing if the exe is the actual installer or the executable for the program).

I did so following this link http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... uide.1616/

The first thing to note is that this is an older "how to" so the versions of wine, etc., are greatly different. Also, the "how to" is using Play-On-Linux whereas I used the command line and adapted the information in the "how-to" for command line use. Finally, the "how-to" has you download 3 dll's from non-Microsoft sources. I did it to get the testing done, but beware that the could be anything dangerous in those as well. All of this is done in a terminal (or console window), and from you home folder.
  • Unzip the downloaded file

unzip scz.zip
  • make the unzipped file executable

chmod +x scz.exe
  • Create a 32-bit wine prefix and run winecfg

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ winecfg
  • Do the following while in the winecfg window
    • On the applications tab, set the Windows version to Windows 7
    • On the graphics tab, be sure all 4 option boxes are checked. Also, you can set the screen size but it doesn't seem to make any difference, to 1024x768.
    • Click "APPLY" then "OK"
  • Use winetricks to install the needed font, the directx and the vb6runtime

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ winetricks -q corefonts tahoma d3dx9_43 vb6run
    If you get a blue window titled "Default-Wine-Desktop" things are fine. That will open and close several times but everything is running. There is probably a winetricks switch to not show that but I don't know what it is.
  • Now install SCZ

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ wine ~/Downloads/scz.exe
    • When the installation screen for SCZ comes up, add \SCZ\drive_c to the end of the Destination Folder (should look something similar to "F:\home\youruserid\SCZ\drive_c").
  • Now, with the forewarning about downloading dll's from a non-Microsoft site, download the 3 dll's as mentioned in the "how-to". I don't know if i'm allowed to post the download lines for a non-Microsoft site so I'm erroring on the side of caution - you'll need to look in the "how-to" for those. Download each and then copy each to the windows system 32 folder. As an example:

cp ~/Downloads/xxxxx.dll ~/SCZ/drive_c/SCZ/windows/system32
    Of course you can always use the gui'd file explorer and just copy and paste there. If it asks if you want to replace the existing file just click "Replace"
  • Now you have to register the 2 of the 3 dll's you downloaded:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ wine regsvr32.exe dx7vb.dll

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ wine regsvr32.exe dx8vb.dll
Now you should be able to run the program:

cd ~/SCZ/drive_c/
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ  wine SCZ.EXE
Another blue console window will appear, then it closes and a dark one opens. The game will start in that dark window.

You can create a shell script to run it and save typing each time via:

cd ~
echo cd ~/SCZ/drive_c/ > scz.sh
echo WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ  wine SCZ.EXE >> scz.sh  (the 2 ">" are needed!)
Now make the shell script executable:

chmod +x scz.sh
Now whenever you want to play the game just login and:

./scz.sh
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

If this isn't the right game let me know and I'll find some way to have someone remove my reply.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

I think you only need vb6run from winetricks and dx7vb.dll from DirectX7.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

jkfloris wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:18 am I think you only need vb6run from winetricks and dx7vb.dll from DirectX7.
Indeed, I tried it with just vb6run and then downloading/copying dx7vb.dll. (I deleted the old prefix and built a new one using the instructions and only the 2 things you mentioned).

I don't know why the original instructions wanted corefonts, tahoma and d3dx9 but it does seem to run without those.

I also don't know why the original instructions wanted dx8vb.dll but it also seems to to run fine without it.

Perhaps a difference in the version of wine?

It's too late for me to edit the instructions in my post above, at least it doesn't show the edit anymore. Is there some way I can actually edited the instructions without having to do it all over?

I also got to thinking about the size of the screen. Without going into the details, I have a very unique configuration so I am unable to try other resolutions, It may be the screen size would be ok with a normal configuration.

Thanks jkfloris.
xXShadicXx11
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xXShadicXx11 »

Well first of all thank you very much to jkfloris and fargodme for solving this problem thanks to you, so you know what I did was download dx7vb.dll from the gamersonlinux page and scan it at virustotal.com to see if I detected something malicious and there were no problems , I also created a wine prefix SCZ, where I registered the dll through the command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/SCZ wine regsvr32.exe dx7vb.dll
, and install vb6run with winetricks and with that already configured install the game in:

~/SCZ/drive_c/SCZ/
The game runs very well without any problems.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

BTW - hopefully you noticed my boo-boo:

cp ~/Downloads/xxxxx.dll ~/SCZ/drive_c/SCZ/windows/system32
should have been:

cp ~/Downloads/xxxxx.dll ~/SCZ/drive_c/windows/system32