Program can't connect to network. (5.22 Staging) → 01b4:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId

Questions about Wine on Linux
Rokolell
Level 1
Level 1

Program can't connect to network. (5.22 Staging) → 01b4:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId

Post by Rokolell »

Hello,

I installed a german tax software called "WISO (Steuer) Sparbuch 2021" in a fresh WINEARCH=32 Wineprefix (64bit caused problems), set native - builtin overrides for msvcp140 and 140_1 dlls and installed corefonts. → Using wine-staging 5.22.

The program works fine, but it can't connect to the internet. Pinging 8.8.8.8 in cmd in the same prefix works fine though.
When I run the program from zsh it shows this message a lot:

Code: Select all

01b4:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId 1823AB38, 22DEDAD8

I piped the program output for about 5 seconds in a textfile and had about 2 million lines of this message:

https://pastebin.com/AitcmnNi

Program in Htop:
https://i.imgur.com/l5eo1oW.png

Can I fix this by doing some additional overrides? (I tried installing ie7 and ie8 but it didn't help…)

~Thanks in advance
hoewer

Re: Program can't connect to network. (5.22 Staging) → 01b4:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId

Post by hoewer »

Push!

Hi Rokolell,

same problem here. But in fact the application HAS internet access. This can easily be proven by checking for Updates - I do receive different results depending on the current update status.

My major problem is that the millions of failures consume about 80% of my CPUs capacity, either by producing error messages in the terminal or (when debug level set to WINDEBUG=-all) consumed by the application itself (process "wmain21.dll")

I tested different prefixes, including 6.0 stable/6.0 staging.

Have you (or anyone else) found a solution?
bratpilz

Re: Program can't connect to network. (5.22 Staging) → 01b4:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId

Post by bratpilz »

Hello,
I'm having the same problem. "WISO (Steuer) Sparbuch 2021" can access the internet for the purpose of update checking but other network related functionality fails with the same fixme that Rokolell is experiencing (just with different hex numbers) and causes very high CPU utilization.
The WINE version I'm using is 6.1, on Arch Linux. I've also added an override for msvcp140_1.dll, which was needed to get the program to start under WINE.
I would also very much appreciate any help with this and I'm happy to provide any kind of necessary information.
mfritz

Post by mfritz »

Hi All,

same for another german software called "Herbie", which is a download app for online TV recorder (www.save.tv).

Application starts, but authentication fails because of this error, seems indefinite busy loop.

This is on "Fedora release 32", x86_64 with
- wine 6.0-1
- winetricks 20201206-1

Kind regards,
Markus
Rokolell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rokolell »

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to fix the problem myself right now.
I hope I can give out a fix by the end of this month. The patch is going to be posted here and on my Github ( http://github.com/besentv ).
hoewer

Post by hoewer »

@ Rokolell:
I highly appreciate your efforts. I am sorry to be too bumbling myself to actually be able to help :( . But I can offer to be available for possible testing.
I wish you every success...
Rokolell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rokolell »

Done:
https://github.com/besentv/wine/commit/ ... 731b1d8fdc

How to apply the patch:
  • Build wine from my source.
  • Copy the netprofm.dll.fake from _repo_/dll/netprofm to system32 in your prefix and rename it to netprofm.dll (replacing the old one).
  • Run your program inside your existing prefix using the just built wine version.
If you encounter any problems let me know!
coenobite

Post by coenobite »

Rokolell wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:02 am Done:
https://github.com/besentv/wine/commit/ ... 731b1d8fdc

How to apply the patch:
  • Build wine from my source.
  • Copy the netprofm.dll.fake from _repo_/dll/netprofm to system32 in your prefix and rename it to netprofm.dll (replacing the old one).
  • Run your program inside your existing prefix using the just built wine version.
If you encounter any problems let me know!
This is awesome. Thanks for making the effort.

Is this going to be pushed upstream? I'm having the same issue, but I don't want to have to bypass my package manager and compile wine from a github repo just to sidestep it.

Would just copying your netprofm.dll to my wine install accomplish the same end, or is a full compile necessary?
hoewer

Post by hoewer »

Hi Rokolell,

many thanx for your solution. I gave it a short try and it seemed to work like a charm.

But on the other hand I today installed update 28.03 for WISO 2021 ("WISOSteuerSparbuch2021Update282028.exe") and did a final test against my standard wine installation: The problem didn't occur anymore. Can anyone confirm wether this update actually solves the problem? Or did I mess up my wine installations?
hoewer

Post by hoewer »

Edit: It seems it was not the update (see last post) which solved the issue. I startet the software once with rokolells wine and waited until database indexing ("wisohilfe.exe") was finished; afterwards I used my standard wine to run the program - up to now without any issues...
Rokolell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rokolell »

coenobite wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:28 am This is awesome. Thanks for making the effort.

Is this going to be pushed upstream? I'm having the same issue, but I don't want to have to bypass my package manager and compile wine from a github repo just to sidestep it.

Would just copying your netprofm.dll to my wine install accomplish the same end, or is a full compile necessary?
No problem! :D
I'll post the binaries on Github as a release.
The patch is also submitted https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/199525, I hope they are going to merge it.
garpu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by garpu »

Rokolell wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:34 pm No problem! :D
I'll post the binaries on Github as a release.
The patch is also submitted https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/199525, I hope they are going to merge it.
I'm having problems with Scrivener (qt5) accessing the internet with the same error. So the procedure is: patch WINE with your patch, then copy the dlls from Binaries.zip into syswow64 and system32? (Both need to happen?)
garpu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by garpu »

Answered my own question. Your patch fixed the Scrivener issue, as well. Thanks! :)
Rokolell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rokolell »

garpu wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:42 pm Answered my own question. Your patch fixed the Scrivener issue, as well. Thanks! :)
Would appreciate it, if you could open a bug report for this. :)
Maerrgie

Post by Maerrgie »

Have the same issue with WISO 2021 ("WISOSteuerSparbuch2021Update282064.exe") here on Ubuntu 20.10 running wine-6.0. Did anyone create a bug report? The bad thing here is, when I start from Gnome Shell also my syslog grows to several GB until my root partition is out of space. So this should really be fixed.
paranoidfactoid

Post by paranoidfactoid »

Hey are there binaries for this fix yet? Literature and Latte just released Scrivener 3 and while I have a license I can't register the program. I realize this is a newly found bug.
paranoidfactoid

Post by paranoidfactoid »

So I built wine from source using the patch and process described here. But when I start Scrivener3, while it resolves the "0318:fixme:netprofm:connection_GetAdapterId 000000000B0FDD10, 00000000194DBCB0" complaints, Scrivener starts for a short time and then crashes with a fatal error. Start it with the original dll and it starts - and even runs - but fills endlessly complains as users noted here before.
garpu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by garpu »

Update to wine 6.4. Additionally you'll need speechsdk and dotnet 4.62.