virtual_setup_exception

Questions about Wine on Linux
extendedquake

virtual_setup_exception

Post by extendedquake »

Hello guys,

I'm working on a fork of Quake3 for Linux and Windows. It's based on IOQuake3 (http://github.com/ioquake/ioq3).

The standard way of building this for Windows is to cross-compile on Linux. I don't think anyone builds it on native Windows these days.

My problem is that the Windows build crashes every time when I do something particular - I can reproduce it 100% of the time. The Linux one doesn't.

Since I don't have a way to compile it in Windows (Visual Studio or similar) and therefore take advantage of its debugger, I'm using Wine to compile, run and test it.
Unfortunately, Wine gives very little information about what went wrong.
This is the line I get each time:

00c0:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 1936 bytes in thread 00c0 addr 0x7bc54b72 stack 0x120870 (0x120000-0x121000-0x320000)

Then, the process doesn't crash. It just hangs hard in there, until I kill it with Ctrl-C from the terminal I ran it initially in. It also happens when running the (cross-compiled) .exe binary under actualy native Windows. The process will hang.

strace'ing wine isn't very helpful. It apparently continues to run, looking for signals and stuff, but not calling any syscalls worth mentionning otherwise.
windbg didn't provide anything helpful. I attached to the process, triggered the fault, and windbg didn't display anything.

Any pointers are welcome!

PS: I do actually, for once, have full source code of what I'm trying to debug, if that means anything.