Application behavior worse after Wine 5.14

Questions about Wine on Linux
Dragos
Level 2
Level 2

Application behavior worse after Wine 5.14

Post by Dragos »

This is only one of the many issues I've had with Wine in time.

I'm using an application called POP Peeper v 4.5.3 for IMAP/POP3 e-mail in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic). It is set to open messages by default in HTML mode (using ieframe). Until and including Wine 5.14 the option to block external images and data (main menu > Options > View Messages) was working correctly; message text and elements were displayed, except for images and other elements that did not originate from the base URI. For example, a comment reply from a Wordpress blog would not display commenter's Gravatar by default, it would require double-clicking a specific (yellow) banner to allow that, which is intended behavior. Upon double-clicking that banner any and all external elements such as Gravatar image, linked pictures etc. would be displayed in the message.

Starting with Wine 5.15 up until current 5.22 (at the time of writing this) the very same settings in POP Peeper would instead yield a completely blank message window! No text, nothing pertaining to the base URl (which is probably a local file in the Tmp folder) would be displayed. Upon double-clicking the yellow banner everything would be displayed, including external images and data (as intended).

Downgrading Wine from any higher version to 5.14 will restore the correct behavior (as observed natively in Win98SE, WinXP and higher). Therefore I consider this behavior as a regression.

I am willing to perform tests in order to find the culprit and hopefully a permanent fix.
L. Rahyen

Re: Application behavior worse after Wine 5.14

Post by L. Rahyen »

Please report this as a bug if you did not already: https://bugs.winehq.org/. If you feel comfortable compiling Wine (or willing to learn how), you can perform regression test to find out what patch caused the issue: https://wiki.winehq.org/Regression_Testing - this will make it easier for developers to fix the bug.
Dragos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Application behavior worse after Wine 5.14

Post by Dragos »

Thank you for replying.

Does Bugzilla require a separate registration than the one here? Because I've been through a real ordeal trying to register on this board due to my apparently "dangerous" usual username, and wouldn't want to repeat that experience again, ever.
So to answer your question: no, I haven't reported that bug (yet).

Unfortunately I'm quite new to Linux therefore lacking experience in compiling under this OS; have been using various Windows versions however for about 20 years, and VC6 under Win98SE, so I'm not completely inexperienced. Will see if all requirements can be satisfied for my hardware and OS, but in case self-compilation won't be possible what else can I do to help finding and fixing this issue?