Wine Stable/Staging – Runas (Linux Mint 20)

Questions about Wine on Linux
SomeDudeInAZ

Wine Stable/Staging – Runas (Linux Mint 20)

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Apologies if the original version of this is sitting in a moderation que, I see no indication on my end that a post is waiting for moderation. . .so now I’m not sure I didn’t hit cancel instead of submit.

I’m trying to figure out a way to get Open Live Writer (OLW) working. It requires dotnet.

I know the app database says it’s doesn’t work – BUT that was back in the version 2 days so I figured I’d try. Especially since I’m trying to help a recent linux convert (she’s 80 years old, retired newspaper editor, and has a blog to maintain <grin>)

After much battling I got wine installed (no idea why I had “issues” on a clean test install of mint given how easy it is). Apparently OLW doesn’t like Mono though. So I install dotnet via winetricks.

Now it’s complaining that it can’t install unless I do so as a non-admin (normal user). Apparently “runas.exe” only exists in the staging version of wine (??).

Given the time this issues has been voiced around the net (wine bugzilla issue 40613), has runas ever made it to the stable version of wine? Can I just copy the exe from the “staging” version to the “stable” version?

Or, since “staging” is a collection of patches, can I just “update” the stable version I installed from the mint repo (ver. 5.0)? Or do I need to reinstall everything from here at winehq?

As I mentioned above she’s 80 and not a geek willing to muck around like me, (not to mention a 3 hour drive from me) so installing anything other than “Stable” is pretty much out of the cards.

I’d rather avoid setting her up with virtualbox if I can help it

Thanks in advance
teamremia
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine Stable/Staging – Runas (Linux Mint 20)

Post by teamremia »

I don't know if there is a 'runas' of 'stable' version of wine but I recently asked about 'runas' of wine staging:
How to run a installer as a user not administrator with wine-staging?

From recent version of wine, 'runas' doesn't seem to work properly and its bug has not been fixed yet. According to spoon0042, recent versions of wine staging don't include 'runas' and 5.15 staging is the last version that includes runas but might be broken somehow.

Hope this helps something.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

No idea if the program is working properly, but you can avoid the installation by extracting OpenLiveWriterSetup.exe and OpenLiveWriter-0.6.2-full.nupkg.
SomeDudeInAZ

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Thanks folks. I'll give that a shot and report back with results.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Just for documentation's sake I was able to start the Spotify installer with runas in wine-staging 5.0.0 (important: staging, not stable). Haven't tried any later versions yet.
SomeDudeInAZ

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

So I tried just extracting the nupkg file - just copied the olw files into Program Files and while OLW started it kept choking as soon as it tried to log into the website and configure itself. The error message box wouldn't let me select the text but it was something about a class not being able to be created or some such.

I may try copying the settings over from my win 7 install just for grins...and try the older Windows Live Writer (which still works for her blog)
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

'if there are dll files associate with program, I believe those need to be placed in Windows/System32. You might also need to register them.https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_G ... nd_Regedit
SomeDudeInAZ

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

thanks fargodwe. I forgot about that. More experimentation ahead