Application Error

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Application Error

Post by fargodwe » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:16 pm

I searched the net for the error and basically can't find anything referencing error messages directly from the tubecad1 executable. Even glassware's site has nothing on error messages. I sent another email a few minutes ago to the only email address I can find: sales@glass-ware.com with a picture of the error box, a request for a iist of error messages, what causes them and what the solutions are. I suspect none will be forthcoming since the program is so old I doubt there is even a maintainer. I feel what they do now is sell the old software and then questions/solutions for design of vacuum tube based circuits - especially for the audiophile - are discussed in the Journal.

There would seem to be a hint in the error message. It says "error reading TestReportFiler.Orientation" and "Operaton not supported on the selected printer". I interpret as saying it is trying to be sure the printer will support program-selection of the page orientation. As far as I know mine supports that, but I suspect for how old the program is it might not be using the correct command/syntax to "talk" to the printer or printer driver to ask if that is supported. The program shows my printer, which like most anymore, is wireless. It's aware of the printer that's why I think there is a problem in determining, perhaps from the printer driver, what the capabilities of the printer are.

If only I could get the source...

TJFO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TJFO » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:51 am

I think it is not worth waiting for an answer from glass-ware or writing again. John is the tube guru in the USA. He receives between 1000 and 1500 emails every day ...

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fargodwe » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:42 am

Ok. Sorry we aren't able to resolve this. I would have no idea why the message is getting generated.

fargodwe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fargodwe » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:12 am

Got an email from John today. He said that the message is there because there is no default Windows printer. From what I read on the net about this wine takes the printers from linux and uses whatever is set as the default there if it using cups. For other it is supposed to use some kind of config file for lpr. I don't know what that config file would be or what it should like. My printer is set as default, and I *think* linux is using cups to work with it. In linux I set the printer to the default for the system but the program still gets the error.

I wanted to let you know about this in case you want to "play" with it some more. I will have to do some more searching and perhaps ask on the forum for some on default printer, etc.. I still think, considering TubeCAD1.EXE knows my printer is there, and that it seems to be implying the printer is not set for automatic rotation selection. At his point I won't bother John again since he did finally reply.

TJFO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TJFO » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:12 am

Thank you very much!