No sound (and other shenanigans)

Questions about Wine on Linux
justabouthadit

No sound (and other shenanigans)

Post by justabouthadit »

Previously posted here and here.

Problems
  1. No sound. Despite the sound test in winecfg working, there is simply no sound in any game whatsoever. I'm guessing it's a directsound issue.
  2. Hyperventilation. The fan goes bonkers any time a game is launched, including 20 year old games with primitive graphics. I'm guessing everything is running on the CPU and DirectX is not used, despite being installed.
  3. Misc errors. May or may not be relevant, but every time winecfg is run from the terminal, a slew of errors appear and they're all saying

Code: Select all

xxxx:err:rpc:rpcrt4_ncacn_np_handoff Failed to retrieve the computer name, error 2
    where xxxx is a hex number.
  4. Non-working 32-bit prefix. Not that big of a deal since I can run 32-bit programs in a 64-bit prefix just fine, but thought I'd mention it regardless. Any time I set up a 32-bit prefix, all windows are either invisible or 1x1. Running anything produces an error window, which of course cannot be read due to the aforementioned reason. Running a simple program like Paint produces a visible, small, empty window.
What I tried
  1. Installing DirectX 9 using this ancient guide and an old redistributable DirectX setup. Setup completes without errors but the problems persist.
  2. Installing DirectX 9+10+11 using winetricks by selecting the appropriate DLLs. Everything installs fine, but the problems persist.
  3. Installing DXVK by following the guide on the github repo. Installs fine but the problems persist AND games like Among Us now spit a DirectX 11 error instead of simply launching in software mode (?) as they did before.
  4. Checking sound=alsa in the winetricks gui, the problems persist and the checkbox gets unchecked at the next launch of winetricks.
  5. Adding native DLL overrides for all x3daudio1_* and xaudio2_* where * is a number (I added a separate rule for every number). The problems persist.
System info

Code: Select all

Host: G5 5590  
Kernel: 5.8.16_1  
CPU: Intel i7-9750H (12) @ 4.500GHz  
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q  
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630  
NVIDIA Driver Ver.: 450.80.02_1  
Memory: 15829MiB  
Audio: ALSA
Wine Ver.: 5.19
Any help would be appreciated folks.