Applications with IE-based embedded UI

Questions about Wine on Linux
Detany

Applications with IE-based embedded UI

Post by Detany »

I am trying to install Adobe Audition 2020 x64. The installer is a 32-bit Windows application, but it uses an embedded IE frame to display its GUI (checked with spyxx in Windows). When I start the installer under WineHQ, I see only a blank page. There are no errors in the console, only a multitude of fixme messages, which I believe are harmless. Mostly they are "fixme:mshtml:OleInPlaceActiveObject_TranslateAccelerator", and "fixme:msctf:InputProcessorProfileMgr_GetActiveProfile". There is also "TSFStaticSink::EnsureInitActiveLanguageProfile(), FAILED to get active TIP keyboard", but I don't think keyboard problems are related to the missing GUI.

Any advice?
Detany

Re: Applications with IE-based embedded UI

Post by Detany »

I found discussion of the issue here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47015

Though, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with msxml. It's something about rendering HTML and executing JavaScript.
Detany

Adobe Audition in Wine

Post by Detany »

It turned out it's a useless exercise. You don't need so much of an installer for Adobe Audition, you can just copy files over from your Windows installation, because Adobe Audition doesn't register any COM objects or performs any other complicated stuff during the installation. So it's quite portable per se, but it won't work under Wine, because CRClient.dll (it's a useless dll in WIne, it sends crash reports to Adobe) raises access violation. I managed to solve it by writing my own CRClient.dll that does nothing. However Adobe Audition still doesn't work, because _Wcsxfrm is not implemented in Wine's msvcp140.dll. The native msvcp140.dll causes the app to crash.

The bottom line: the latest Adobe Audition doesn't work in Wine, even if you manage to install it.
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Applications with IE-based embedded UI

Post by Bamm »

Try installing native msvcp140.dll using the following command:

winetricks -q vcrun2019

Upon installing it this way, you will notice the following setting:

[Software\\Wine\\DllOverrides]
"*api-ms-win-crt-conio-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-private-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"*atl140"="native,builtin"
"*concrt140"="native,builtin"
"*msvcp140"="native,builtin"
"*msvcr140"="native,builtin"
"*ucrtbase"="native,builtin"
"*vcomp140"="native,builtin"
"*vcruntime140"="native,builtin"
"*vcruntime140_1"="native,builtin"

Apparently, it is not enough to set msvcp140 to native. You will need to set the whole gamut of related libraries to native. In addition, winetricks may have also set other registry entries and tweaks. I have installed some apps that need these libraries and I haven't experienced problems when the DLLs are installed using winetricks.
Detany

Adobe Audition in Wine

Post by Detany »

Everything is set to "native,builtin", yet Adobe Audition crashes inside msvcp140.dll. Is there any way Wine's crash reporter can use symbol server, download .pdb for msvcp140.dll and show the stack trace with the correspondent information?