Obtaining diagnostics

Questions about Wine on Linux
nmm1

Obtaining diagnostics

Post by nmm1 »

I use Wine to run 4 programs: Memorymap, the Kindle app, Adobe Digital Editions and (only for testing, and then very rarely) Internet Explorer. Under Debian 8 (jessie), all work and can connect to the Internet; under Debian 10 (buster), they all work, except that the Kindle app gives me the message "unable to connect" when I try to access the Internet, and Adobe Digital Edition fails similarly with a different message. There is not a single diagnostic or clue, either to the console or in /var/log. This is with the standard (buster's) version of wine, which is 4.0.2.

If I could get any clue as to the reason (e.g. diagnostics), I might be able to work out a hack, but several Web searches have come up blank. Is there any way to get diagnostics on what is going on (and failing) in Wine's networking?

Equally, going to the hassle of uninstalling everything and installing the latest version could end me up in the same hole (or another one), as I have not a clue as to the cause. Is this a known version problem?
nmm1

Re: Obtaining diagnostics

Post by nmm1 »

It seems I can't delete this. Please consider this as dead, and refer to the "Kindle can't connect" thread.