Strange issue with Metal Gear Solid

Questions about Wine on Linux
Time4Tea
Level 3
Level 3

Strange issue with Metal Gear Solid

Post by Time4Tea »

Hi, I am trying to run the PC port of Metal Gear Solid (1) that has just been released on GOG.com and I am seeing a rather strange issue. I am overriding ddraw with the ddraw.dll that is provided in the game folder (without that only software rendering seems to be available). When I switch the Windows version in winecfg to any of Windows 10, Windows Vista or Windows XP, the game runs flawlessly the first time I run it. However, if I exit the game and re-launch it, without changing any settings, the performance is suddenly so poor it is unplayable. If I go into winecfg and switch to one of the other two Windows versions mentioned above, the exact same thing happens - it runs great, but only on the first launch.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried running this in Wine and had similar issues, or has had a similar issue with any other games? I get the impression it is a quite old and not particularly good PC port and it's possible it's a bit flaky. Windows users on GOG seem to be reporting mixed results. Some are saying it runs fine out of the box, others are reporting performance issues.
Time4Tea
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Strange issue with Metal Gear Solid

Post by Time4Tea »

Hey, I just wanted to update this:

I have now gotten it working. Firstly, my Arch Linux system and NVidia drivers were a bit out-of-date, so I rectified that.

Secondly, I installed the latest wine-staging and the game seems to well with that, although it requires an override of ddraw.dll, to direct wine to use the one provided in the game folder.

Would it be helpful if I post a 'test report' for the game? I'll be happy to do it, if someone shows me where.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Strange issue with Metal Gear Solid

Post by spoon0042 »

winehq has the AppDB for test reports here: https://appdb.winehq.org/

There is one report for the GOG version already here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=39417

If you like you can create an account and submit a report; if the ddraw override makes it playable that's useful information.