Can not run wine staging

Questions about Wine on Linux
jury
Level 2
Level 2

Can not run wine staging

Post by jury »

I've used staging for quite long time, but quite few months ago it stopped working and I could not find the solution. So I have installed stable version and it works fine.
But once in a while (about once every 2 months) I uninstall stable version and install staging to see if maybe it works again. But nothing changes, it always does not work, so I go back to stable version.
Just now I checked current (5.17) staging version and it still does not work. Below is output given when I try to run "winecfg", but running "wine" gives exactly the same errors.
I am on 64-bit Mint 18.3.
Why does it not work?

Code: Select all

prctl(PR_SET_SECCOMP, ...): Bad argument
0024:err:environ:run_wineboot failed to start wineboot c00000e5
0024:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 5.17 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
0024:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0024:err:winecfg:WinMain failed to restart 64-bit L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe", err 1359
0024:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0024:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can not run wine staging

Post by spoon0042 »

It appears some patch in wine-staging uses seccomp which I don't know much about but appears to be a process security... uh, thing. First thing to check would be if you've done any custom stuff kernel or security wise and that your kernel is up to date. It's possible whatever kernel Mint 18 uses is too old but I'd think someone else would have had this problem if that were the case.
jury
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can not run wine staging

Post by jury »

Yes, it helped, at least partialy. I have installed newes kernel I could choose (I think it was 4.15.0.113) and wine staging finally run. But on this kernel there was no sound, network and mouse working was kind of broke, so I went back ...
Thanks anyway.