Running Scripts??

Questions about Wine on Linux
Lockwood124

Running Scripts??

Post by Lockwood124 »

I am running Debian buster with wine 4.whatever, I have been using winetricks, the only successful install and that was with a scripts running on my terminal. I have no idea how that was opened or what cause during the failed attempt it told what I dependencies I needed to add to that bottle.
How do I get that script to run ever time I do an install??

I am not over impressed with winetricks, it never seems to run the same way twice when creating bottles, it does do a great job deleting bottles.

I have also tried to install the latest version of wine but some "lib" library that wont allow me to install the latest version.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Running Scripts??

Post by jkfloris »

I have also tried to install the latest version of wine but some "lib" library that wont allow me to install the latest version.
Probably libfaudio0, you can download them here:
64 bit libfaudio0
32 bit libfaudio0
And use sudo dpkg -i libfaudio_20.01-0~buster_amd64.deb libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_i386.deb to install the packages.

I have to admit that I don't really understand the rest of your question.
Lockwood124

Post by Lockwood124 »

Well, I can't really understand how all this works so forgive me. I was trying to install a racing game "Newstar GP" in my opinion the best 2D F1 game ever!! I was using wine tricks cause I really could not figure how to install the software via command line into the bottle I created and with that I couldn't figure out how to install the DLL stuff.

While I was using wine tricks a terminal opened up and showed the running scripts and what I needed to install. It only happened once and the only time I got a windows program to run with wine. That running script was a game changer too bad I don't know how to get to come back up or find out how to. Maybe it was a dream or something the Linux guru's are holding back to make themselves feel superior. :lol:
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

I don't know what script you used in the past, but the installation of "Newstar GP" is not very difficult.
In the example below I'm using Wine 5.16 and NewStar GP 1.34f

I use a clean Wineprefix (bottle) to make sure other Windows programs don't mess with this game.

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/Newstar wine start /unix ~/Downloads/Install_NSGP134f.exe
Unfortunately, the installer gives a runtime error, but on the terminal output you will see what went wrong:

00bc:err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\name\\Temp\\is-9T2KO.tmp\\isskin.dll") not found
The installer can't find the mfc42.dll file. Now winetricks comes in handy.
Use winetricks to install mfc42.dll and run the installer again

WINEPREFIX=~/Newstar winetricks -q mfc42
WINEPREFIX=~/Newstar wine start /unix ~/Downloads/Install_NSGP134f.exe
If everything went well the installer runs successful and you will be able to play the game.
Next time if you want to run the game:

cd ~/Newstar/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/
WINEPREFIX=~/Newstar wine "New Star GP.exe"
Lockwood124

Post by Lockwood124 »

Hey, thanks! That worked perfectly and I will save that this for future use, winetricks to me works in mysterious ways and it would be nice to see what you need to install to make a program work. Again thanks I am learning how to do this stuff.
Lockwood124

Post by Lockwood124 »

Hey the game is running great, but you can install different mods to the game. When I try to run the mods I get exception error, some mods will let you run a quick race and others will not let the program run.