Altium Designer utterly crashes

Questions about Wine on Linux
nsvinc

Altium Designer utterly crashes

Post by nsvinc »

Hello, I have a little problem, as mentioned.

Code: Select all

WINEDEBUG=seh,loaddll wine DXP.exe
dies like on the screenshot attached. (sorry for not providing it by text, but something stopped working and copying anything from the terminal does not work at all)

I fought this issue for hours now, and didn't make any progress. Having no clue why, and how, and for what reason, it does not work, whatever I do - tried using win7 mode, win xp mode, verifying the existence of MDAC related files, etc. It just won't work, for whatever reason.

Env: Xubuntu 16.04LTS x64, wine 64 5.0.1, winetricks'ed gdiplus corefonts riched20 mdac28 msxml6 like recommended.

Please, help. Or give a clue...
Attachments
altiumcrash1.png
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Altium Designer utterly crashes

Post by qwertymnb »

Hi

One thing that jumps out from your screenshot is that it still tries to use builtin msado15.

Maybe try set it to native in winecfg, or just run WINEDLLOVERRIDES=msado15=n wine DXP.exe

Question: Could you tell us what exact version of Altium Designer you`re trying to run?
nsvinc

Post by nsvinc »

Bullseye! That was it - overriding msado15 did the trick and the app launched. Thanks for helping.
But...
only schematic works properly. PCB design doesn't - when opening a PCB document, the app stops being responsive, just hangs, the PCB does not show up. Seems to me like a directx issue. WINE log shows that the app indeed does something, but it does it awfully slow. No obvious errors there. After several minutes the PCB editor shows up, with the default black background, but the app is still unresponsive, the response for any action takes a few minutes.
Where should I look to solve the problem?
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by qwertymnb »

>Where should I look to solve the problem?

Well, start looking in console output again. Maybe you could attach it here

( Btw, doesn`t this program also use .NET? Maybe installing native makes things any better? Just shooting in the dark for now...)