mIRC install fails in wine-5.13

Questions about Wine on Linux
olipar

mIRC install fails in wine-5.13

Post by olipar »

Greetings!
Today I tried to install a new version of mIRC, however upon running "$ wine mirc762.exe" I get the following error, followed by termination:

Code: Select all

Dll Loaded.
RegisterDeviceNotificationA was not found in user32.dll.
Dll Unloaded.
Dll Unloaded.
0104:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "setupapi.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0104:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"Z:\\home\\user\\Downloads\\mirc762.exe" failed, status c0000142
Afterwards I tried to install an older version (mirc758.exe) which previously installed fine (probably using wine 4.something) and is the currently installed version. Running the already installed version works fine, starting the older installer yields the same output.
I tried both versions using either winehq-stable and winehq-staging from winehq-bullseye repo, both yield the same output for both versions.

A freely available copy of the file can be acquired here: https://www.mirc.com/get.html

Thanks for your time!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: mIRC install fails in wine-5.13

Post by jkfloris »

I can't reproduce your issue with wine 5.14 or wine 5.0.1 in a clean wineprefix
Did you use any winetricks? Can you install mIRC in a clean wineprefix?
olipar

Re: mIRC install fails in wine-5.13

Post by olipar »

Hi!
Thank you for trying it out - during the time required for approving my post here I figured out what went wrong and would like to leave that here for future reference (searching for most parts of the error messages lead to essentially nothing):
The directory I executed the command in was my downloads folder. It contained a "setupapi.dll" file I downloaded quite a while ago and I completely forgot about its existence. I renamed it to "setupapi.dll.disabled" and everything worked a treat afterwards.

In conclusion not a problem with wine nor mIRC, only pure user error.