World of warcraft will not start

Questions about Wine on Linux
hg_hel

World of warcraft will not start

Post by hg_hel »

Wine version: wine-5.12 (Staging)

Logs from running wow launcher.exe, opening battle net and trying to start the game https://pastebin.com/J4ckt1kn

After clicking play now, I'm seeing something went wrong (as in attached file)

I'm not sure how to proceed from here and would appreciate some help.

Thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-07-09 14-00-20.png
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: World of warcraft will not start

Post by jkfloris »

Code: Select all

00b0:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
Does it make any difference if you fix this error?
hg_hel

Post by hg_hel »

Installed winbind so that error is gone from logs, the game now crashes with just a fatal error.
Here's new logs
https://pastebin.com/YrWfuz89
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Two things you can try:

wine Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/World\ of\ Warcraft/World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe
Use wine start /unix when you start the game

wine start /unix Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/World\ of\ Warcraft/World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe
If your GPU can handle Vulkan, try

winetricks dxvk
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

[edit]
Use wine start /unix when you start the game

wine start /unix Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/World\ of\ Warcraft/World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe
Also don't forget to use the correct WINEPREFIX. This must be a full path. So there must be something in place of {...}

WINEPREFIX={...}/Games/world-of-warcraft/ wine start /unix Games/world-of-warcraft/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/World\ of\ Warcraft/World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe
[/edit]
hg_hel

Post by hg_hel »

Unfortunately getting similar results with the suggestions you've provided, the game still will not load
Tried winetricks dxvk as well before this run
Logs:
https://pastebin.com/tne8UP9s

Do note that I've managed to start the game using Lutris' version of wine and that works okay but the performance is sort of lackluster. Still no luck with wine staging.
pga256
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pga256 »

I currently run Wow using wine-staging 5.6 + dxvk 1.7 on Arch. All newer versions of wine are problematical currently.
I suggest you downgrade to wine-staging 5.6 and create a new WINEPREFIX with dxvk added.
For PopOS, I think you will need to get the 5.6 version using aptitude?
Using nvidia drivers version 440.82 currently.
Smoerrebroed

Post by Smoerrebroed »

Same here (Arch Linux + nVidia + dxvk), except that I found Wine Staging 5.9 to still work with WoW. Anything after that will give me the black window and "application not responding". No clue what changed, but for the time being I excluded wine-staging from any upgrades.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

hg_hel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:02 am Unfortunately getting similar results with the suggestions you've provided, the game still will not load
Tried winetricks dxvk as well before this run
Logs:
https://pastebin.com/tne8UP9s

Do note that I've managed to start the game using Lutris' version of wine and that works okay but the performance is sort of lackluster. Still no luck with wine staging.
Depending on hardware in use, i do not know what you consider "lackluster" when it comes to performance.
In the case of DXVK running dx11 on a RTX2070 card, i get between 70-90 fps in Boralus with most settings at max (Shadows is set to "good"... Set the slider to 10, and change shadows to "good").
Smoerrebroed

Post by Smoerrebroed »

Good news: WoW seems to work again on Wine Staging 5.15! :)