Wine does not show up in menu Linux Mint 19.3

Questions about Wine on Linux
Kagariim

Wine does not show up in menu Linux Mint 19.3

Post by Kagariim »

I installed Wine 5.0.1 via terminal following the website's instructions, however, nothing shows up for wine. The app was successfully installed, however only after installing a window's app does a wine category appear and even then I can't config wine etc.
dimesio

Re: Wine does not show up in menu Linux Mint 19.3

Post by dimesio »

That's working as intended. WineHQ packages do not create menu items for Wine's builtin programs. You can create them yourself with whatever menu editor your distro provides, or just run them from a terminal.
fargodwe

Re: Wine does not show up in menu Linux Mint 19.3

Post by fargodwe »

dimesio helped me with things linux Mint doesn't quite do right for accessing programs under wine - for example mine will not run from the desktop icons (launchers) or from the entries in the Wine submenu.

What I have done is ended up creating a small shell script to run each. For example:

Code: Select all

cd <path to exe>
WINEPREFIX=<myprefix> wine myprogram
Note that if you did not specify a WINEPREFIX when installing your program just leave the "WINEPREFIX=<mypath>" off the statement. You must then make the script executable:

chmod +x <myshellscriptname>
Then you can use this in multiple ways. In a terminal window just:

./<myshellscriptname
. You could also add it to your desktop, add an icon and double click it. It will ask so just select "run in terminal".