Problem getting a W7 app running in Wine to link to a USB port

Questions about Wine on Linux
FoxJT

Problem getting a W7 app running in Wine to link to a USB port

Post by FoxJT »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but the Forum search won't let me!

I have a PC running Ubuntu 18.04 and, on a separate partition, W7. On this W7 partition, I have a W7 app (FCU) which I have used successfully to configure devices on CBUS via a USB link.

I also have a 32bit laptop running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. I like to use a laptop as it is easy to move around. A PC isn't!
Onto the laptop, I have loaded Wine V5.0 from your website no problem(?). I am trying to run the same app (FCU) to talk to the same CBUS devices via a USB serial port. I can run from PC with no problem, but simply moving the usb cable to the laptop there is a problem.

I have followed the procedure to set up the usb port in the Wine User's Guide, section 4.3.1. I have noted that in my laptop when I insert the USB plug, /dev/ttyACM0 is created. I have therefore created in /dosdevices the symbolic link com1 -> /dev/ttyACM0, via the registry edit in your user's guide.

In FCU, which runs "correctly", when I run it, it shows the Communication ports as COM1, COM2, etc. When I tell it to use COM1, it seems OK, but doesn't talk over the port. If i use "cu" to view /ttyACM0, I can see comms coming from the CBUS requesting the link. Strangely, the COM ports listed in FCU don't quite match those in /dosdevices. I have two other USB devices on the laptop, a wifi and a mouse. When I remove these, FCU can't find any COM device available???

My thoughts/assumptions:
- Ubuntu/Linux creates /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS31 as part of its loading, even though my laptop only needs four max.
- Wine creates the symbolic links com1 - com32 in /dosdevices, based on what it finds in /dev. These can be edited via regedit. In making changes to this area, I have ended up with duplicate links. I have assumed that this is "no problem".
- FCU lists the available COM ports. Where would it get this information?
- There seems to be a "missing link" between the FCU/COM1 and /dosdevices.

Have I missed something, or do I need to load actual Windows onto my laptop (definitely last resort!!!)

TIA!