VtMB crash, black screen, or corrupted screen on new game menu with Wine 5.7

Questions about Wine on Linux
cyberfloof

VtMB crash, black screen, or corrupted screen on new game menu with Wine 5.7

Post by cyberfloof »

I bought Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines on GOG, and am having trouble getting it working under Wine.

1. Default settings (Windows version set to Windows 7 or XP), VtMB unmodified from the GOG version => game crashes as soon as it gets to the new game menu, exits to desktop at reduced resolution.

2. As (1) but with Wine set to emulate a virtual desktop => videos still show, but completely black screen when the new game menu is reached. Moving the mouse around I can hear menu entries sound off as they're highlighted, so I know the game is actually running, but I can't see anything.

3. As (2) with GLSL disabled and max D3D OpenGL version locked to 1.2 => same black screen.

4. As (1) or (2) but with latest community patchset applied to VtMB => corrupted screen instead of black, shows contents of other open windows. (Sometimes cleanly truncated, sometimes scrambled.) Sound still indicates that menus can be interacted with.

Clicking on what I'm pretty sure is "New Game"... seems to result in a new game from the change in music, but graphics stay black or corrupted.

Anyone had luck getting this game working with recent Wine versions? If so, how? I know it's a complete bugfest but it looks pretty fun, and hey, sunk cost fallacy.

(Wine 5.7 on Manjaro Linux Xfce, if that helps, on a Dell Latitude E6320. Both wine and wine-staging packages produce the same results. I also gave PlayOnLinux a shot to see if much older Wine versions might work as the AppDB seemed to indicate, but had trouble getting those versions to even launch winecfg properly.)
cyberfloof

Re: VtMB crash, black screen, or corrupted screen on new game menu with Wine 5.7

Post by cyberfloof »

Found a workaround - using Wine 4.0.1 in PlayOnLinux, with the unofficial patch version 10.7.