iTunes works under 5.5-1 but not under 5.6 and 5.7

Questions about Wine on Linux
dagunny

iTunes works under 5.5-1 but not under 5.6 and 5.7

Post by dagunny »

I have a problem I reported under Bugzilla. If I do a raw load of FC32 (or an update from FC31) I try and install iTunes 12.3.0.44. This worked under the beta of FC32. When installing under 5.6 or 5.7-1 or 5.7-2, the program appears to load but never opens. If I do a downgrade of wine* using DNF, reboot, it will work. I have tried this on 3 different computers with different graphics cards - Intel integrated, nVidia 330m, and an ATI Radeon. Same results. The Bugzilla people want me to do a regression, but all modules don't compile. I can get to 498 and it aborts. Tried on multiple computers but same result. I can reproduce this ad nauseam and I have the raw load backed up with Acronis so I can easily revert to test. Suggestions?
dagunny

Re: iTunes works under 5.5-1 but not under 5.6 and 5.7

Post by dagunny »

I should also state this is on the Cinnamon Spin and the iTunes 12.3.0.44 is a 64bit version. It works fine under 5.5-1. If I knew where to look for the error I might be able to find it and attempt resolution. Am stuck at home in quarantine with nothing to do but test stuff so any ideas welcomed.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

- Over on your original bug report you were asked to provide console output when starting iTunes (non-working version). You should still do that, even if it ends up not helping.

- You could wait until 5.8 packages are built to see if whatever issue is resolved.

- If you still want to try building wine / doing a regression test you'll probably want to just get a working build first if you haven't already. 5.5 would make sense. If you're having trouble post exactly what commands you run and the output you get. If there's a lot just copy the last 100 or so lines

Code: Select all

and please use [code] tags.
bart-wa

Post by bart-wa »

I tried to install iTunes with Wine 5.9. I wonder if I have information that can be of any help.

I'm using Linux/Debian10 with the LXDE graphical interface. Maybe a week ago I used Wine-4.0 (Debian 4.0-2) to install iTunes. To install I used the command:
$ sudo wine iTunesSetup-64-V12.exe
After installation I had an "iTunes" submenu in the LXDE menu. iTunes worked well and it was installed in:
/home/guest/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes

Last weekend I upgraded to wine-5.9 and I tried to install the same version of iTunes. Again I used the command:
This time there wasn't an "iTunes" submenu in the LXDE menu and iTunes was now installed in:
/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes

This also means I can't run iTunes as a regular user with Wine 5.9. As a regular user I can't even go to that directory.

I can run iTunes if I go the installation directory as root and give the command:
# wine iTunes.exe
but I don't find this ideal.

I hope that this information is useful.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Don't run Wine as root (or with sudo).
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Should_I_ru ... as_root.3F
bart-wa

Post by bart-wa »

jkfloris wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am Don't run Wine as root (or with sudo).
Thank you for mentioning that, I wasn't happy with it myself.

If however, I do:
$ wine iTunesSetup-64-V12.exe

then I do get the iTunes installation screens like "Installation Options" and "AutoRun", but with the next screen, the one with a progress bar, iTunesSetup stops and rolls back everything.

I kept notes and screen copies. It's another topic, so it may be better to put that in a new thread. I'll probably wait with that until the current topic is resolved.

Thank you for your input.
bart-wa

Post by bart-wa »

Well, I'll be flabbergasted.

I still had "iTunesSetup-64-V12.exe" on the desktop. For the fun of it, I right-clicked it and choose "Wine Windows Program Loader". After a moment the installation started and continued as we like to see.

After the installation I had folder:
/home/guest/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes/
and it contained the expected files and subdirectories.

There was also an "iTunes" icon on the desktop. I double-clicked it, and iTunes started and ran as expected.

The LXDE Start menu now also had a program group "Wine". In there I found a subgroup "Programs". It contained an item "Apple Software Update". The subgroup "iTunes" was missing, but this is already a big step forward compared to what I had yesterday. :D

Nice!