"Delete" (del) key and numeric keypad dot ('".") key both delete and insert dot

Questions about Wine on Linux
LucMorizur

"Delete" (del) key and numeric keypad dot ('".") key both delete and insert dot

Post by LucMorizur »

Hi;
I have installed Wine HQ stable 5.0.0 amd64 on XUbuntu 18.04 LTS. For this version and in fact also all the previous ones I used, when I hit the "Delete" key ("del", not backspace), both the character right of the cursor is deleted, and a dot (".") is inserted. And the same behaviour occurs with the numeric keypad dot ('".") key. Therefore both these keys can't be used within software's ran through Wine. It is not a major issue of course, as both these functionalities can be found on other keys, yet it's quite unhandy. I found a 2008 post describing this issue, but it doesn't look any solution was given. To be noticed that, as well as within this 2008 post, I also use a French keyboard.
Many thanks for having read my message, many thanks if you know a solution, and many thanks for maintaining and offering Wine!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: "Delete" (del) key and numeric keypad dot ('".") key both delete and insert dot

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Did you already try a different keyboard layout?

Just to make sure, it only happens in wine, not everywhere? And it happens for example in wine notepad as well?
rstech

Re: "Delete" (del) key and numeric keypad dot ('".") key both delete and insert dot

Post by rstech »

Hi,
I was also faced with this bug (wine 3.0 Lubuntu 18.04LTS).
In my case, the output of

Code: Select all

WINEDEBUG = + keyboard wine notepad.exe
was close to that of the 2008 post you cited.
The problem seems to come from the oss variant in keyboard layout (layout fr). See

setxkbmap -query
It is solved (for me) by removing this variant:

setxkbmap -layout fr
For a final modification, edit the file /etc/default/keyboard and delete the line (or comment out) XKBVARIANT="oss"
I hope that the solution will be useful to others while waiting for a next version of wine to be compatible with the oss variant!