Wine (inbuilt) directx pluggin issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Wine (inbuilt) directx pluggin issue

Post by tone »

Hi,
I'm new and I have been learning as much Linux (as I can when the kids are in bed of an evening) over the last few months. Originally I had Wine installed on MX Linux 18.3 then for reasons I won't go into, I had to upgrade to MX Linux 19. When I first installed WINE I was very impressed and it worked very well. However, for some reason I am having an issue with "failed to initialize directX error 80004005 E_FAIL" for example if I try and run Project 64, I think there is a plugin issue. (I believe WINE uses it's own directX like variant)

I use Playonlinux as the front-end for WINE; I am admittedly a bit of a plug-and-play-monkey coming from Windows, but I tried to change the Wine Configuration > Libraries: d3d9 or d3dx9_43 or whatever to (builtin). Or Wine Configuration > Install Components: directx9 etc. No joy.

Similarly, when I go Tools > manage wine versions and try other versions, no luck there either.
Last time I remember there was 32bit and 64bit OS which you could choose from, now there was more of a distinction and I think I had to install Wine64 in addition to the Wine offered (I think it was 'staging') in the MX package installer (I think this was only 32bit).

I frankly don't understand WINEARCH, the WINEPREFIX Feature, Winecfg and haven't really played with WINETRICKS. So there are many possible avenues which I have not explored because (happy to read any tutorials on these because I would like to be able to fine-tune WINE for maximum ability to run obscure .exe's).

Are any of you good people please able to shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance,
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine (inbuilt) directx pluggin issue [Project64]

Post by tone »

Okay, the plot thickens. I watched this video on installing/using WINE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI09QLkqZiE

He uses WINEARC and WINEPREFIX through winetricks. So I setup a test wine bottle the same way and installed a number of windows DLLs and components including d3dx9 through the default wineprefix.

Copying this method (emulating him, if you will), keeping with the Project64 application I think I do get further...

So I load [the R0M] and I hear the music but the screen is black, so I go to check the graphics configuration and its not until I start clicking around that things appear (like dropdown menus). Similarly, if I go to options > settings > plugins, there is nothing to select, not even white empty boxes. Nothing at all. So obviously I can't change the plugin or select one.
Please see my attached screen captures illustrating what I have described.

Can anyone please let me know if they have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Screenshot65.png
Screenshot64.png
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine (inbuilt) directx pluggin issue

Post by jkfloris »

There was a bug in Wine/ Project64.
The development builds seems to work fine.

If you want to learn more about WINEARCH and WINEPREFIX read the WineHQ Wiki
tone
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine (inbuilt) directx pluggin issue

Post by tone »

jkfloris wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:08 am There was a bug in Wine/ Project64.
The development builds seems to work fine.

If you want to learn more about WINEARCH and WINEPREFIX read the WineHQ Wiki
Hi and thanks for the reply, I didn't get a notification so I didn't see this.

Great, I was trying to install winehq-devel last night, but I have 'held broken dependencies' which I am trying to remove without much luck (tried a lot of suggestions on Ubuntu forums, even though I'm using MX linux).

Cheers,

Rob