IrfanView forgetting preferences (_sometimes_)

Questions about Wine on Linux
Pudding4brains

IrfanView forgetting preferences (_sometimes_)

Post by Pudding4brains »

Howdy,

last month I've migrated my girl from Win7 to the most recent Manjaro KDE Plasma (18 something). She likes to continue using IrfanView for basic photo viewing and editing, so I installed that for her and was very impressed by the ease of installation and level of integration for this Windows program "out of the box". Without configuration orgies it "just worked" and is even integrated in context menus such as right clicking a photo in Gwenview and having the option "Open in IrfanView" etc.

Very, very good work and kudos to all the people making this happen (wasn't working like this a few years back).

But, there is one hick-up: Erratically (as in: I can't find a logic to it) IrfanView is loosing important preferences that she sets to streamline her work, such as personalized values for effect filters and custom settings for resize dimensions or selection boxes.

I've checked that IrfanView is set up such that it uses the INI file in her personal home directory and that access to it is granted etc., so that is not the problem.
Also, I've deliberately tested, closing IrfanView, logging off/on and rebooting to see if any of that kills her preferences, but it didn't (that time at least).
But then again, every now and then, all at a sudden she finds out that her preferences are all reset to default values that upset her workflow.

Is there any possibility that there is some regular "clean up" or "update" process that may reinstall a "fresh" INI (unrequested/unwanted) every now and than? Some function of Wine maybe?

I suppose I could manage things by running some script at boot time that copies a backup of her INI to overwrite whatever is there, or maybe change all the command lines for starting Irfan with a script that does this, but I would much prefer understanding where the problem is coming from and fix it there.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks a bunch in advance!