everytime i try to execute an .exe wine gives me an error

Questions about Wine on Linux
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

everytime i try to execute an .exe wine gives me an error

Post by goolagdied »

i searched all over the internet to see how to fix this error but i found absolutely nothing which leads me to believe that this " module:__wine_process_init L"F:\\home\\kriteron\\Desktop\\somethinghere\\Bloody\\Blood pack GOG.exe" not supported on this system " is an error that has to do with the recent addition of the installation of .NET framework and Gecko for Wine staging that happens the first time you open it and more so because with past Wine installations i never got this error and they didn't asked me to install something like what this new Wine install did ask me. What can i do? no matter what .exe i execute it just never opens and gives me that error message (i executed the .exe through the terminal to get that error message)
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

Re: everytime i try to execute an .exe wine gives me an error

Post by goolagdied »

i need help with this, even after the recent Wine staging update it still gives me this output error " module:__wine_process_init L"F:\\home\\kriteron\\Desktop\\somethinghere\\Bloody\\Blood pack GOG.exe" not supported on this system " and Wine is part of my workflow
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Do Wine's builtin programs (winecfg, notepad, etc.) work?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

goolagdied wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:26 pm i need help with this, even after the recent Wine staging update it still gives me this output error " module:__wine_process_init L"F:\\home\\kriteron\\Desktop\\somethinghere\\Bloody\\Blood pack GOG.exe" not supported on this system " and Wine is part of my workflow
@goolagdied

While I appreciate your need for help 'urgently'...
It would have been very helpful if you had posted precisely what command(s) you are using to run Windows applications, with Wine.
We don't have powers of ESP!

See: WineHQ FAQ: 5 Installing and Running Windows Applications.

Please use the forum Code tags to delimit any commands and/ or terminal output, you need to post:

Code: Select all

Thanks
Bob
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goolagdied »

Bob Wya wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 am
goolagdied wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:26 pm i need help with this, even after the recent Wine staging update it still gives me this output error " module:__wine_process_init L"F:\\home\\kriteron\\Desktop\\somethinghere\\Bloody\\Blood pack GOG.exe" not supported on this system " and Wine is part of my workflow
@goolagdied

It would have been very helpful if you had posted precisely what command(s) you are using to run Windows applications, with Wine.

Please use the forum Code tags to delimit any commands and/ or terminal output, you need to post:

Thanks
Bob
I'm sorry about not posting the commands. In the terminal i used the command wine bloody.exe (by being with cd inside the directory where the .exe i want to execute is located) and i have executed .exe files before outside of the terminal and they don't open either so it's not a using the wrong command sort of thing, also programs like WineMine or WinePad do execute without a problem.
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goolagdied »

dimesio wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:31 am Do Wine's builtin programs (winecfg, notepad, etc.) work?
yes, they work without a problem but what doesn't work is programs outside of those meaning any .exe i execute
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goolagdied »

Bob Wya wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 am
@goolagdied

Thanks
Bob
can you please help me? i told you in the last post (the one before this one) that i used the command "wine example.exe" to get the output of what's happening through the terminal and also programs that come with Wine like the minesweeper or the notepad actually open up and work but any other program (.exe) outside of wine does not work and the output of that is what i shared at first. I have tried erasing the Wine prefix and creating a new one and i have also tried uninstalling wine and reinstalling it to see if that made a difference but nope, neither of those two has worked so that's why i'm here now.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

I have tried erasing the Wine prefix and creating a new one
Are the error messages exactly the same?
tried uninstalling wine and reinstalling
How did you remove and install Wine?
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goolagdied »

jkfloris wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:48 am
I have tried erasing the Wine prefix and creating a new one
Are the error messages exactly the same?
tried uninstalling wine and reinstalling
How did you remove and install Wine?
the error messages are exactly the same as before, it's the same error message. As to how i removed wine, i have Fedora so i used the command "sudo dnf remove <wine package name, whatever it is>" and after that i reinstalled it by looking it up on the software center Discover
goolagdied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goolagdied »

dimesio wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:31 am Do Wine's builtin programs (winecfg, notepad, etc.) work?
I Checked and they do work, this problem only started after i updated Wine Staging and i said yes to the download and install of .NET and Gecko for Wine Staging.
shevy

Post by shevy »

I just registered here to specifically reply to the thread.

First - the registration is a bit annoying. There is a question one has to answer and
that was not trivial. First one asked me about some random drive in wine ... I could
not answer this. Then there was a question "which is NOT a linux distribution".
Since I use Linux since a long time, I could answer it ... but seriously, guys, what
are you thinking? Everyone can answer that question? I mean ... what the ...

At any rate, to the topic here.

I have been using wine since a long time. It worked really well during the 32 bit
days.

Now with 64 bit I have more and more problems.

I am trying to get pymol to work:

PyMOL-2.4.0_178-Windows-x86_64.exe

However wine shows:

00c0:err:module:__wine_process_init L"Z:\\home\\x\\src\\windows\\pymol\\PyMOL-2.4.0_178-Windows-x86_64.exe" not supported on this system

I have no idea what the error means.

I have no idea how to debug it. But more importantly, I do not think users HAVE
to have a NEED to WANT to debug it. The error message tells me NOTHING.

Googling for this leads to lots of threads that are useless and give no real
answer.

I think wine is a great project, but the usability has gone downhill immensely.

I am on a 64 bit system. I compiled almost everything from source. I can
eventually compile a 32 bit toolchain too. But I have no idea how to make
wine work.

On the www you can read hints to set WINEARCH and remove the old
~/.wine directory. BUT WHY IS THIS NECESSARY? Why can't we simply
use ONE directory, and designate how to use it? Be ti a file or whatever?
Why not even make it possible to work with BOTH at the same time? Why
do we have to jump through these pointless hoops? Is this useful?

So please, at the least make those error messages much more useful;
and if you don't want to make it as the default, add something like
WINE_DEBUG or WINE_VERBOSE or something like that, so we can
set this, and then let wine actually be helpful, rather than cryptic as fu**
and require of us to search for information all over the www, 90% of which
is pointless or wrong or not helpful at ALL.

The usability of wine has to increase. If it is not meant for people then why
does it still exist?

"wine wordpad" works fine by the way, so this makes you wonder.
(I understand that the exe gives me "PE32 executable" despite the
name, but still, it is so annoying that wine has no trivial way to work
with both 32bit and 64bit at the same time. Can't there be an
additional extra step to download the necessary 32 bit files as-is?
Or tell the user what to do? I can compile a LFS/BLFS without a
problem, but getting wine to work these days is so much more of a
hassle than it used to be ...
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

shevy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:47 pm I am on a 64 bit system. I compiled almost everything from source. I can
eventually compile a 32 bit toolchain too. But I have no idea how to make
wine work.
If you haven't yet then wine isn't going to work. The error you posted could very well be a result of missing 32-bit support.
"wine wordpad" works fine by the way, so this makes you wonder.
(I understand that the exe gives me "PE32 executable" despite the
name, but still, it is so annoying that wine has no trivial way to work
with both 32bit and 64bit at the same time. Can't there be an
additional extra step to download the necessary 32 bit files as-is?
Or tell the user what to do? I can compile a LFS/BLFS without a
problem, but getting wine to work these days is so much more of a
hassle than it used to be ...
If you're on Ubuntu or several other distros both 32- and 64-bit packages are available. If you're on LFS you're on your own, I guess? Getting 32- and 64-bit stuff working together is far from trivial. It's been years and there's still bugs and quirks and kludges that vary from system to system.

If you haven't yet information on building a functioning 32/64 bit wine is here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Shared_WoW64
abashi

Post by abashi »

Has anyone figured this out? It does appear that it has something to do with the 32bit architechture
[

[i] You may need to install the wine32 package first...
  # dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt update && apt -y install wine32

it looks like wine32 is missing, you should install it.
as root, please execute "apt-get install wine32"
it looks like wine32 is missing, you should install it.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

If you start from scratch - delete and purge wine, then install wine via the winehq instructions it will have you install the 32-bit information you just listed above. Also, post back the entire output of the terminal when you run it from a terminal window, starting with the running of the exe and continuing down to the end. Just saying you ran "wine example.exe" doesn't really tell us anything.

Also, since this seems to be referencing 32-bit architecture you should try creating a 32-bit prefix instead of the default 64-bit and install your program to that prefix.

Also remember, everything here is volunteer. You may have what you consider to be an urgent request, but people may not see it for a few days and then only the ones who might be able to help normally reply. jkfloris and Bob Wya are very knowledgable and have helped me, a complete novice, so very much.
manofsticks

Post by manofsticks »

I am also getting this error with 32 bit programs. Running the following command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine ~/.wine32/drive_c/users/stickman/My\ Documents/Flashpoint/Launcher/flashpoint-launcher
Gives me the following output

0024:err:process:exec_process L"C:\\users\\stickman\\My Documents\\Flashpoint\\Launcher\\flashpoint-launcher" not supported on this system
Same with navigating to the directory and running it from there.

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine ~/Flashpoint/Launcher/flashpoint-launcher 
Gives output

0024:err:process:exec_process L"Z:\\home\\stickman\\Flashpoint\\Launcher\\flashpoint-launcher" not supported on this system
HOWEVER I've noticed if I launch the wine explorer, and navigate to the file, it works without issue.

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine explorer
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Are you sure the file name is flashpoint-launcher and not flashpoint-launcher.exe or flashpoint-launcher.lnk?
Does the application start if you use:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine start /unix ~/.wine32/drive_c/users/stickman/My\ Documents/Flashpoint/Launcher/flashpoint-launcher
wineo

Post by wineo »

I'm getting this error on macOS Big Sur on the M1 architecture, but ONLY when using any version of Wine that is higher than 5.x, strangely enough.

I don't get it...on Wine 5.0, nearly every app works, 32 or 64 bit. When I upgraded my Wine version, suddenly it refuses to run any Wine app that is outside of the builtin apps (explorer, wordpad, notepad, etc).

So it clearly was able to run these at one point, but the functionality has broken in newer editions. Is this a bug that we haven't documented yet?