AncestryView not detecting CD

Questions about Wine on Linux
Mark12

AncestryView not detecting CD

Post by Mark12 »

I'm trying to use a set of 12 CD's that came with my grandfather's copy of Family Tree Maker 2006. The CD set contains the Social Security Death Index for 1875-2005 IIRC. Each one has a program called AncestryView 2.6 on it which is used for viewing and searching the database. If the startup executable detects that the program is installed, it launches the existing installation. Otherwise, it installs the program and launches it. Each CD also has a .NFO file on it containing a portion of the database.

Using Wine 5.0-rc4, I'm able to install AncestryView, but when I launch it I get an error: "Please insert an Ancestry CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive." In the terminal, the only Wine debug message is

Code: Select all

0029:err:shell:SHGetFileInfoW pidl is null!
I've copied the first CD's image as an ISO file and extracted it to a folder. Setting that folder as a CD drive with winecfg still gives me the error message. Setting the mount point of my physical CD drive as a CD drive with winecfg gives the same result. I've also tried copying the NFO file to the Program Files folder for AncestryView and it still doesn't detect it.

What else can I do to try to make the program recognize the CD or image?
Mark12

Re: AncestryView not detecting CD

Post by Mark12 »

Update: I've solved this by setting the CD/image to be Z: in Wine. See the test data for my solution.

Another bug I found after submitting the test data was clicking on "Simple Search" or whatever the button is to the left of the search box caused a crash, and after the crash CheckAV2.exe wouldn't launch. I tried launching AV2.exe from the install folder and every file in there was gone. Not sure if it's a one time thing, but I had to delete and recreate the Wine prefix directory to get CheckAV2 to reinstall AncestryView.