Failed Direct3DCreate9 in Frontier: First Encounter

Questions about Wine on Linux
swhnk-puppy

Failed Direct3DCreate9 in Frontier: First Encounter

Post by swhnk-puppy »

Hi everyone, I address you for a problem I have with the Wine-portable-3.3 program running on Linux Puppy Xenial (64 Bit).
In these days I tried an old game that in the 90s worked under Dos and then was updated in Windows, I refer to "Frontier: First Encounter".
I installed on the old version an update that allows me to make the game work with Wine-Portable using the old graphic engine, even if the musics in midi files do not play while the sounds of the game are heard, but if I try to use the same game with the 3D graphic update the error "Failed Direct3DCreate9" comes out.
Point out that the game works perfectly with Windows 10 both with music and with 3D graphics after integrating the missing file d3dx9_43.dll (my PC is a Lenovo I3 of 2016).
I have tried from Wine Config to insert from the Library several d3dx9 files including also 43 but without success.
I executed the command "wine.sh winetricks d3dx9" from the terminal, redoing it also for d3dx10 and directx9 but without success, I always have the same error.
The downloaded 90Mb file containing 2 FFE and FFED3D folders, the first with the old graphics and the second with the 3d improvements, was taken from "http://www.ffeartpage.com/ffed3d.htm" and I have already tried on advice from the Linux Puppy Forum the following commands without success: 1)winetricks amstream quartz - 2)wine.sh regsvr32 "c: windows system32 stream.exe" - 3)wine.sh regsvr32 "c: windows system32 quartz.dll".
I downloaded from the PPM (PuppyPacketsManager) cabextract and I relaunched the "winetricks d3dx9_43" command but I always have the same error ...
If I need to install a new version of Wine, I ask you if it works at the same time as Wine-portable or if I have to disable it and also ask you all the necessary steps to disable Wine-portable (I don't want to delete it) and install the new one.
I would like to let my son know about this beautiful game with greatly improved graphics using Linux Puppy, it would be great.
Thanks for your attention.