Using Wine to interface with a Windows application that uses a USB device

Questions about Wine on Linux
lilxtiger

Using Wine to interface with a Windows application that uses a USB device

Post by lilxtiger »

Hi,

I have a Windows application that runs on 32-bit Windows XP, which uses a USB camera and WinUSB. I have access to some source code apart from the DLL that presumably has the WinUSB functions within, so I can garner the commands sent to the device and what endpoint it is.
I want to support this device on Wine, and as far as I can tell this isn't possible due to the differences in drivers.

I want to ask whether my plan to do so would make the application compatible with Wine:
1. Use LibUSB and a kernel driver I made instead of WinUSB since WinUSB installs a driver that I think isn't supported in Linux. I want to change the parts of the code use WinUSB, keeping the parts that use Direct3D since creating a new application is unfeasible for me.
2. After testing the configured application on Windows XP, I would then use my Windows application on Linux using Wine, along with a coded kernel driver.

Is this plan feasible? Would this make the application run on Linux using Wine? Please feel free to correct any misunderstanding I have.

Thanks in advance.