[Question] Unable to install Wine - my brain is melting

Questions about Wine on Linux
SirBaas

[Question] Unable to install Wine - my brain is melting

Post by SirBaas »

Hey folks,

I'm pretty much a first time Linux user (apart from using it this one time a few years ago to backup files from a HDD that had a issues with windows not booting).

I've been trying to install Wine for a few hours now. At first I made a small mistake with entering the install command, which I believed either had no impact or I fixed it. However, right now I'm having issues with installing faudio and wine itself.
I keep getting the same error:

Code: Select all

chris@chris-laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install ./libfaudio0_19.10-0_disco_i386.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libfaudio0:i386' instead of './libfaudio0_19.10-0_disco_i386.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libfaudio0:i386 : Depends: libavcodec58:i386 (>= 7:4.0)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Code: Select all

chris@chris-laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install ./libfaudio0_19.10-0_disco_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libfaudio0' instead of './libfaudio0_19.10-0_disco_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libfaudio0 : Depends: libavcodec58 (>= 7:4.0)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I can't install faudio i386 nor amd64. I honestly can't remember everything I've done these past few hours. Creating more issues in the process and trying to fix them after. Please tell me anything you might need to assess what the issue might be.
I'm pretty sure that at first only the i386 file wasnt installing while the amd64 file was fine, but now both aren't working.

I've been googling and trying everything I could find. I removed the every link to wine that I could find to try redoing it all from scratch, but I'm not sure if I actually managed to remove everything, as I'm not entirely sure how, and googling didn't lead to good answers sadly.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need me to try anything and/or post any logs.

Cheers,
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Question] Unable to install Wine - my brain is melting

Post by spoon0042 »

You probably want 'dpkg -i' instead of 'apt install' if you're trying to install a downloaded .deb file.

If you still have trouble you'll want to verify what distro/release you're running, 'disco' debs may not install on anything but current Ubuntu (19.04).
SirBaas

Post by SirBaas »

Oh god, oh god, now that you mention it; I might have downloaded the wrong version of Ubuntu when I installed it two days ago.
I was completely positive that I was running 19.04, but now I'm starting to doubt myself. I'm at work atm so I can't check, but will do when I get home.
What would be the easiest way to verify it from within the OS? (gosh, I feel extremely stupid now..)

Also, all tutorials I found told me to use apt-get, whats the difference?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

'lsb_release -a' should give you your distro info.

For apt vs dpkg, um, short version is apt is kind of a frontend that handles the dependencies and fetches packages, etc while dpkg just installs them. apt just takes the package name while dpkg takes a filename. In your case apt tried to be smart and install the libfaudio0 it knows about but is failing for some reason. You can try 'dpkg -i' on your downloaded libfaudio packages but you should check you haven't mismatched your distro in /etc/apt/sources.list or something.