Wine team on bountysource!

Questions about Wine on Linux
FinixFighter
Level 2
Level 2

Wine team on bountysource!

Post by FinixFighter »

Hi! I think that it cloud be a nice idea for Wine team to subscribe to bountysource.com. A lot of people put money for resolving bugs or implementing features, and this can work also for Wine. I'd like to put money on a lot of bug issues, and I think a lot of people would do the same. This would accelerate Wine development, because people are more attracted on resolving issues. Moreover, I think that Wine developers definetely deserve more support for their great work, and this could be a great way to show our support :D
What do you think?
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine team on bountysource!

Post by Cybermax »

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/support-wine
Dunno if things would conflict in any way?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The idea of users paying Wine developers to fix bugs comes up periodically. The problem is that most users severely underestimate the cost of developer time.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

dimesio wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am The idea of users paying Wine developers to fix bugs comes up periodically. The problem is that most users severely underestimate the cost of developer time.
True. Luckily quite a few of the dev's have it as their day-job :lol:

But i WOULD donate for someone to make a wine working version of apitrace with easy to use instructions tho. Something that could be included in wine and could play back traces from windows and wine, aswell as generate them. THAT would really help devs weed out some bugs imo. As it is now, bugs related to d3d is mostly fixed on a "this might do something" basis, as the dev's usually don't have access/own the game in question.
FinixFighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FinixFighter »

Cybermax wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:56 am https://www.codeweavers.com/about/support-wine
Dunno if things would conflict in any way?
I don't think this is a problem, since Wine is part of Software Conservancy. In fact Wine already accepts donations! Anyway, I think that also putting some non intrusive banners on the Wine website could help to increase revenue. Moreover, I think people would be more inclined to donate if there was a page where you can see how much money have been donate monthly; first examples which come to my mind are the Linux Mint's website and Openshot's website; they both show how much people are donating. On Wine we don't if they received 1€ or 1000€; and a lot of people like to see their name in the donators list.
Last but not least, an account on Patreon would be also great! I'd surely support it! :mrgreen:
I hope one of these ideas will be used because I think Wine is a very important project and it has an enormous potential!
FinixFighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FinixFighter »

Look at Godot Engine too: https://sfconservancy.org/projects/current/ it is also part of software freedom conservancy, like Wine. They are on patreon and have 1.247 patreons at the moment, for a total of $12,308 per month! They've been able to hire people to work full time on the project! Doing a patreon account has no costs, and could improve Wine's economic situation, improve developing and make Wine more famous!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

FinixFighter wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:41 am Anyway, I think that also putting some non intrusive banners on the Wine website could help to increase revenue.
There's already a prominent Donate link on the front page. As for banners/other ads, personally, I don't want to see them anywhere. One of the things I like about this site is the lack of advertising.
FinixFighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FinixFighter »

dimesio wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 am As for banners/other ads, personally, I don't want to see them anywhere. One of the things I like about this site is the lack of advertising.
Ok, I can agree with you about this, but what about the rest?
dimesio wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 am There's already a prominent Donate link on the front page.
Yeah nice, but things could be better. In my opinion that's not enough :(
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

I like the idea of donations, but i do not like the idea of "nobody knows where that money got spent".

I have not looked too much at the mechanics behind Bountysource, but i would think more than the forum mod and a couple of users should comment on this too. I dunno if the actual devs read these boards at all tho...
FinixFighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FinixFighter »

Cybermax wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:42 pm I have not looked too much at the mechanics behind Bountysource, but i would think more than the forum mod and a couple of users should comment on this too. I dunno if the actual devs read these boards at all tho...
Can mod talk to the devs? So that they can know about this discussion
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

FinixFighter wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:01 am Can mod talk to the devs? So that they can know about this discussion
I had a brief discussion with one of the devs at WineConf this past weekend. The answer regarding bountysource is that the Wine project cannot offer bug bounties because that would be considered business income and threaten the project's status as a nonprofit organization under IRS rules.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

dimesio wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pmI had a brief discussion with one of the devs at WineConf this past weekend. The answer regarding bountysource is that the Wine project cannot offer bug bounties because that would be considered business income and threaten the project's status as a nonprofit organization under IRS rules.
I'm pretty sure that, in my country, you could also get into troubles for claiming bug bounties with your current employer or the tax department.
Even if there were open bounties I could address, I couldn't because of those issues. And I'm probably far from the only one with that problem.