Wine 4.0.1 Regression? I can't use the CUEcards properly

Questions about Wine on Linux
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Wine 4.0.1 Regression? I can't use the CUEcards properly

Post by squiffy »

Hi,

I have been using CUEcards since 2012 under Linux/Wine. So far I had no problems. I installed two DLL via Winetricks and CUEcards ran fine. Since the update to Linux Mint 19.1 and Wine 4.0.1 the program crashes reproducibly when I switch between a folder and a flashcard in the internal file browser. This is also true for CUEcards 2000 (freeware) and, not to the same extent, also for the CCReader, which is also free

(This is a copied post from the thread Wine 3.0.5 install)
jkfloris wrote:If there is a regression between two Wine versions that is a bug and should be know by the Wine developers.
Okay. I've never done this before, but I'll try it. Do I have to set up a new account? My forum account does not work for the Wine HQ Bugzilla forum.
jkfloris wrote: @squiffy
Is this the program that you mean?
Both versions seems to run fine with wine 4-12.1
If you are still experiencing problems, create a new forum post.
Yes, that's the program. Also the reader, which is also free. It doesn't crash so easily but it also causes problems. I have been using the programs under Wine since 2012 and they have always worked. You had to install two DLLs over Winetricks and then it ran without problems. The program still works, but if you switch back and forth between folders and flashcards it crashes reproducibly.
Can you tell me how to install wine 4-12.1 on my system? 4.12.1 is a development version. Do I have to uninstall 4.0.1 first? Sorry for the questions, but I've never had to do anything like this before.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine 4.0.1 Regression? I can't use the CUEcards properly

Post by jkfloris »

You could install Wine 4.12.1 with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-devel wine-devel-amd64 wine-devel-i386:i386
If you get a dependency error, you are probably missing the libfaudio packages.
You could download the deb packages from the OBS server:
64 bit package
32 bit package
And install them with:

sudo dpkg -i libfaudio0_19.07-0~bionic_amd64.deb libfaudio0_19.07-0~bionic_i386.deb
If everything goes well you could run wine 4.12.1 with:

/opt/wine-devel/bin/wine program.exe
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

jkfloris wrote:You could install Wine 4.12.1 with:
[...]
If everything goes well you could run wine 4.12.1 with:

/opt/wine-devel/bin/wine program.exe
Thank you very much. I'll try that out.
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

jkfloris wrote:You could install Wine 4.12.1 with...
Great! That worked. Under Wine 4.12.1 CUEcards runs again without problems. Many thanks for your help.
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

Hi, now that I have updated to Wine 5.0, unfortunately the wine-devel installation, which was set up with your help and worked until yesterday, no longer works with this program (CUEcards). And that in both versions...
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Try to install and run the program in a clean Wineprefix.
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

jkfloris wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 am Try to install and run the program in a clean Wineprefix.
Hi jkfloris. Meanwhile I've figured out how to downgrade Wine and I've already done it. CUEcards runs under Wine 4.14 without problems – in the old prefixes. And since I don't need Wine for specific current Office programs and the little I use from the Windows world still works, that's enough for me. But how is it with these "regressions"? Isn't the community basically interested in correcting such changes as well? In this context, it might be interesting to note that Wine 5.0 does not seem to recognize the Windows MDAC service anymore. Wintricks says that everything is installed correctly. (And it has worked so far) But CUEcards has an analysis program with it that tells me that the MDAC service is installed in a version 0.0 (!) which cannot be correct and I would like to update to 2.5. ( In fact 2.8 is installed )

Anyway – maybe I will try your tip with the clean prefixes after a new update anyway sometime.

Thanks again for your answer!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

squiffy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:12 am But how is it with these "regressions"? Isn't the community basically interested in correcting such changes as well?
Yes, developers do want to fix regressions. The way to bring a regression to their attention is to file a bug, preferably one with regression test results. http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

dimesio wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 am
squiffy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:12 am But how is it with these "regressions"? Isn't the community basically interested in correcting such changes as well?
Yes, developers do want to fix regressions. The way to bring a regression to their attention is to file a bug, preferably one with regression test results. http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting
Oh, sorry, I took a look at this RegressionTesting page and unfortunately I have to say that what I read there is beyond my horizon. Isn't there a way for a non-initiated person to simply describe what he found out on his computer?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Yes, you can file a regression bug without a test.
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

dimesio wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 pm Yes, you can file a regression bug without a test.
Still pretty high hurdles. Because I've already downgraded and as a layman I'm glad that my system is up and running again and I don't want to upgrade to a system that is not running. We'll see. Maybe I'll set up a Virtual Box and install the latest Wine version there. I would like to contribute something to make Wine better. But that may take some time...

Thanks for the answers.
squiffy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiffy »

dimesio wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 pm Yes, you can file a regression bug without a test.
okay, I did it. I reported a regression.