Level 2
Level 2

Full screen software not launching on correct monitor

Post by hiigaran »

Current setup:

Ubuntu 19.04
Nvdia 430.26
Three monitors

Updated from 4.10 to 4.11. Everything worked fine in 4.10. Now, when attempting to run a full screen application through Wine, it opens on my left monitor, instead of my centre, which is my primary monitor.

As far as I'm aware, I can't use the DISPLAY variable in the following way:

Code: Select all

DISPLAY=0.1 wine program.exe
The way that I understand it, Nvidia uses one screen that contains all three monitors, so the only working DISPLAY variable is 0.0. I might be wrong, however.

Is there a way to get things opening on my centre monitor again, which doesn't involve reverting to 4.10?
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Full screen software not launching on correct monitor

Post by Cybermax »

Not sure why it changed with 4.11, other than something about - Initial support for enumerating display devices. in the release notes.

Wine has always been kinda buggy for me tho, as wine desktop/fullscreen and whatnot ALWAYS starts at point 0.0, which for me is my left monitor, even tho my center one is the main one.

Anyway.. I have great success using "devilspie2". You should see if that is available for your distro and use that, cos you have loads of customization there. I tend to use it when running "wine desktop" as 1920x1080 (same resolution as my monitor), and use these settings in my ~/.config/devilspie2/wine.lua:

Code: Select all

app_name = get_application_name();

if app_name == "Default - Wine desktop" then
	set_window_geometry(1920, 0, 1920, 1080);
end
That way, the wine desktop will open at my center monitor :) Good luck

EDIT: You can ofc use any "window name" tho eg. "if app_name == "Notepad.exe" or similar. Just create separate .lua files for each app.