Access Denied to PDF XChange Editor on a cryptmount volume.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Lila Boc

Access Denied to PDF XChange Editor on a cryptmount volume.

Post by Lila Boc »

I am using PDF XChange Editor under Wine to read PDF files on Ubuntu Linux. Recently, I cannot read files that are contained in an encrypted filesystem mounted by cryptmount. I would get the following message: "Error (Operating system) Access denied." I can open and read the a copy of the file on an Ext4 filesystem.

I did not have this problem previously; I was able to open and read all pdf files in the cryptmount volume. I am not sure when this happened, but I suspect my trouble started after I changed my unix password. I tried changing my cryptmount password to match, but still no joy.

Any advice?
Lila Boc

Re: Access Denied to PDF XChange Editor on a cryptmount volu

Post by Lila Boc »

Hi,

So far no one has replied. Let me ask a different question. Are there any logs that I can look at that can help me figure out why I am able to open files on a normal Ext4 filesystem but am getting Access Denied for files on a cryptmount volume? Any hint would really be helpful. Thank you.
Lila Boc

Re: Access Denied to PDF XChange Editor on a cryptmount volu

Post by Lila Boc »

Hi,

My problem is fixed :-)

I launched PDF XChange Editor on the command-line. Lots of log messages appeared. When I opened a PDF file that resides on a normal Ext4 filesystem, no message stood out. But when I opened a file that is on the cryptmount filesystem, this message appeared:

0034:err:virtual:map_file_into_view failed to set PROT_EXEC on file map, noexec filesystem?

Reading the man page on mount, and looking at /etc/cryptmount/cmtab, I realized that the configuration

mountoptions=defaults,user

should have been

mountoptions=defaults,user,exec

Adding the exec option to the configuration fixed my problem.